VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New here - Knee pain?

Rate this question

Tim_RVA

Question

New here, been reading thru a bunch in the past few days. USMC 93-99, 2.5yrs at 2/2 (6mos on USS Guam), 2.5yrs at CBIRF (5x Anthrax shots), MOS 2818 Computer Tech, which at an infantry unit means radio operator. I tend to avoid doctors and never really thought of VA for any medical issues. However, a colleague of mine mentioned something that got me thinking maybe I should pursue. My knees seem to be normal wear and tear for a 40yo, but they are getting worse. I've read thru some of the posts and most reference range of motion. I don't think I have an issue there, but going up/down stairs, getting in/out of car and going from sitting to standing is painful. I don't have any injuries to reference, no post military sports or anything either. Is this something that could be considered service connected to the rigors of USMC boot camp, PT or infantry unit 25mile humps, etc?

Did you have any type of treatment for your knees in service?

Getting service connected soley based on the rigors of USMC boot camp, PT or infantry unit 25mile humps would be quite a stretch for anyone.

If you had treatment in service then you might be able to substantiate a claim.

Meddac, are you and expert or just giving opinions

I say this because you are answering a lot of question

in a lot of forum. You got reference? or is it just me who wants to

know

Tim_RVA,

I agree with Meddac that you will have a tough time without some kind of paper (medical records) for your ailments.

I also agree with RUREADY, that anything is possible.

What you really need to do is get all of your service medical records together.  If you dont have any, request them from the appropriate sources and check your old unit for ghost copys of your medical record.  Also, very important, any civilian records during your time in service.  

ALL your records for no matter what.  Sick call slips, anything and every thing.

Then your first objective is to get rated (even at 0%) for something that happened while you were in service.  That is paramount.

Then get treated at a VA clinic.  This will help you get help, but it will also start a trail of treatment.  Keep in mind this will be for in the future.

Anyway, your knees could be from arthritis, and a doc could opine that this "is at least as likely" to have happened whlle on active duty.

I have arthritis.  I am sevice connected for my neck from AD medical records, however, I got secondary for my lower back (arthritis) because the doc said that I have had it for more years than that I had been out.

So, the bottom line is you have some work to do and it will take time, a lot of time.

Good luck,

Hamslice

Tim_RVA,

I actually do have one of my SCDs awarded based on examiner opining "at least as likely as not due to rigors of military service in the Marine Corps." That award is only 10%, but it's there.  However, I did take a shortcut down the stairs on day 5 of boot camp at MCRD San Diego.

I served '92-'98, and the KC-130 unit I was in did support the 2/2 MEU on a regular basis.

Also, if you served around anything noisy, be it weapons, or engines(aircraft, armor, generators) hearing loss and tinnitus are worth filing for.

I understand your way of thinking, avoiding the corpsmen and sickcall like the plague, but for me, it was more of a survival tactic.  I could not justify falling back during formation PT without the resulting trips to sick call for my knees and back, otherwise a 30 day "detention" to the remedial pt club was in order.

Semper Fi

Andyman

3 things you need for SC;

1. Incident in service-2. current condition-3. a nexus between the 2

First things first, get your Service Medical Records.  Without that, the whole thing is a blind shot.  With that, you can ID anything that did happen in the Service, and if you have anything currently related to those records, you have a chance.

Edited by pwrslm

10 hours ago, RUREADY said:

Meddac, are you and expert or just giving opinions

I say this because you are answering a lot of question

in a lot of forum. You got reference? or is it just me who wants to

know

RUREADY

Does it bother you that I answer so often? Is there a problem with that? I am trying to help out.

An expert? I don't see myself that way. I retired from working at the VA. While there I was a file clerk, claims assistant, VSR, Appeals VSR, Senior VSR, Management, and in Quality Review.

During my service in the Army during a period of wartime I was a Combat Medic and later a military nurse at Fort Hood before I retired.

I am not an expert, RUREADY, I am a fellow disabled veteran who is here to assist when and where I can.

And yes, I should preface everything I say with "my opinion" because I suppose they are. Does that tell you what you want to know?

Man, anybody missing Bronco right now? I'll take a day off so I don't answer so much if that helps.

Edited by Meddac