VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Rate this topic

GARYLINN

• HadIt.com Elder
On 4/24/2016 at 9:17 AM, waccamawwild said:

In general I agree with what all of you said. But it angers me to think of all the compensation I lost fighting the VA for service connection. One of my disabilities now service connected took twenty years when I had adequate medical evidence in the first place. With the VA mental fortitude is a must.

Looking back on things, the VA related delays are perhaps most frustrating to me in terms of monetary loss. I was forced to live on the proceeds of selling cash producing investments, and a Florida Condo for several years.  Regaining the equivalent in assets has been quite difficult. For example, the Condo has a real estate value? of a hundred thousand or so more than when I had to sell.  Loosing the income and appreciation of other assets was even more significant.

I concur, the 15 years between rate increases due to VA downward pressure negatively effected my family's financial status.  I had to work every hour of overtime I could, just to support my family.  Even so, it was barely enough until I got some increases a year ago.

I don't think anyone is not grateful for our compensation. But there are those of us that cannot do the things in life that we want. I cannot play with my young kids, do any vigorous activities with my family who is very active. I spent large amounts of time at the doctors missing my kids school activities. This list goes on for far too long.

So although I am thankful for the monetary help I get from the VA, this life holds very little joy outside of my family; and I look forward to glory far, far more than being in this world.

What the VA offers is monetary benefits and it is wonderful but it isn't the life a lot of us shout for joy about.

Kudos for you helping others and I truly am happy that your quality of life isn't shot, and I hope it never is. Enjoy it but don't bag on others because theirs is not to the level of yours and you think they are being sour.

Edited by DDuck

DDuck,

I agree with you completely.  When I was a kid, I couldn't understand why Dad wouldn't do many physical activities with us.  As a teen I learned why, it was due to injuries received in 'Nam, and throughout his 24 year enlistment.  Now that I am in same boat, I try to explain to my kids why Daddy can't do this or that. But wife is a different story...she wants what she wants how she wants it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking over my finances and it stood out:  I have not spent ONE cent of my comp pay from the VA...Between my SSI and my wife's income, we do fairly well.  I have banked the VA money for later.  It is a hefty sum right now and I am happy that our retirement won't be a big stressful mess.  I have personally witnessed people choosing between eating and buying their meds for the month.  That should not happen to any American.  It's disgusting.  I AND my wife get our meds from the VA (CHAMPUS VA) and will never have to decide to eat or get meds

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use