VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI screen positive but no follow up

Rate this question

ESV12B

Question

I've read some other thread with kind of the same situation going on. Keep a long story short here. While on active duty I started seeing a doctor after a deployment and he was treating me for list of things. Post concussion syndrome was one of these things. This was 2009 and TBI was sort of being talked about but I didn't ever put to much thought into it. I was more worried about being able to sleep and wake up with the prescriptions I was taking. I believed that my only problem at the time was nightmares and sleeping.

I enrolled in the VA in 2010 and had a TBI screening in 2013 that was positive. I vaguely remember a few questions about what sort of blasts I was exposed to and if I ever was unconscious. The usual questions when discussing TBI. And that was it. They told me I was fine. My TBI screen was negative they said. In 2014 I pulled all my doctor notes from the VA via the Blue Button feature from myhealthyvet. After reading years of notes I read about the TBI screen. There were notes that the TBI screen done in 2013 was positive and that I was asked if I would like to have follow up care and further examinations to determine the severity of TBI if any. The notes specifically said that service member agrees to follow up for positive TBI screen.

I filed a claim at the end of 2014 for TBI. I was denied and I filed a NOD. I stated some brief but valid reasons why I disagree (the big one being that I was diagnosed and treated for post concussion syndrome while on active duty) with the VA's decision.

I have about 40 days left of my 60 days to tell them I would like to have everything reviewed by the DRO or go the route of a traditional appeal. I'm leaning towards the DRO but would like some insight if that is the best way to go.

And also if anyone has a answer, why the VA likes to bust balls when it comes to a post concussion syndrome diagnosis when making a TBI claim. And even when TBI is diagnosed I've read stories of guys not getting the proper attention.

For years my I tell my PCP my problems and she refers me to mental health. I'm this depressed sack of shit who thinks my PTSD and depression are my problems and have been taking all sorts of meds over the past 6 years form the VA for this. But not once have they tried to possibly treat TBI or even take a peak and see if maybe that's the reason behind some of the issues I have.

I've read about the poly trauma units and that it could be a good place to start. My closets VA that would have something like that is 50+ miles from me. I go to a small clinic that's closer and they have just about everything to accommodate me minus the big things like ED, MRI, pharmacy and poly trauma.

Anyone ever dealt with the poly trauma units before? if so, how did everything go. I'd really like to explain some of the issues I am having to someone other than my PCP and not just be given more meds.

At the very least, thanks for listening to my concern(s). Have a good night and thanks for allowing me to be part of this community.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm reading more of my notes. October 2013, a note was put in mentioning the TBI screening I had in FEB2010. (This is the one I don't remember ever having and my VA notes have nothing specifically detailing this screening, just mentions it years later.)

This is the note in my records,

The screen was negative for TBI and ongoing post-concussive

symptoms. TBI screens come due again at every VA a Veteran enrolls at,

regardless if a Veteran has been screened or evaluated for TBI. The most

accurate assessment of possible concussion is done at the time of the event.

More remote assessments become inaccurate, because historical memory for details

is less accurate over time. National guidance through the Polytrauma System of

Care is to avoid rescreening for TBI if an initial screening at a time period

closer to the event was negative, unless there was an additional

deployment/event afterward. Since the first screening at the Tucson, AZ VAMC was

negative, and the Veteran has not been redeployed since that time, this consult

is discontinued.

For the TBI screen conducted in 2013, it has notes as far as who did it, what time it took place and where it was done at. Nothing like that for this imaginary TBI screen done in 2010.

The VA claiming to have done a TBI screen in 2010 and it being negative seems like an easy way to deny benefits when I enrolled in the Salt Lake City VA in the fall of 2013 according to the national guidance through the polytrauma system.

I'd love for the VA to produce something that documents the TBI screen in FEB2010. My first day eligible in the VA was 31JAN2010. I enrolled a couple days after that. Even if I enrolled on 30JAN2010, there is no way the VA got me an appointment within 30 days to be evaluated for TBI at that time. And my concerns at that time were to get my back taken care of. Nothing else until a few months later after I had seen case worker, PCP, Psych, etc.

Just trying to piece together things that happened 5 years ago. Sorry for ranting. Just really frustrated about the so called TBI screen done in FEB2010.

Not much to update here. My appeal was sent to a DRO and two weeks ago I got a call from the Seattle RO about my TBI claim. They told me that they just wanted to let me know that the appeal is being reviewed and a decision could be made on the spot. Or they could say more testing is required to properly reach an accurate decision. They asked if I had any questions. I mentioned just about everything I have previously posted. The guy talking to me didn't have any real answers to give me. I'll provide more once I hear back... probably in another year or two.

I'm not done fighting but mentioning problems to my PCP is worthless. She blames the undiagnosed problems I am having on PTSD. That is her answer for everything and to take it up with my mental health team. When I mention what is going on to them, they say that is a PCP issue. My wife feels like she is doing the VA's job and has no more patience to help me. My relationship problems just feel like collateral damage at this point. Trying to get the appropriate help is never going to happen. Everything is PTSD related to the VA. I'm on all the meds my body can handle. But this is a common theme with the VA, dope up the vets and tell them they are better. I'll keep on my docs to get me the help I need. Everyone else fighting the same fight, don't stop. In my opinion, that is what the VA wants. They want to wear us out and have us go away. I gain a little bit more motivation every time I come back to this site.

Thanks for everyone who shares their experience.  

ES12B:

Sorry, I have not been around much on hadit.com as we are doing renovations with a contractor on my house and it's taking a lot of time --- but looking good. I subscribe to the "happy wife, happy life philosophy" and it something the wife has wanted for a while. 

Anyway, I also go thru the Seattle RO, for the most part, I've found that they are pretty fair but mostly rely heavily on the doc's opinion to make a final determination. I was involved a massive explosion, early in my Army Career and never was the same after that explosion. I have headaches and memory issues that are growing worse? After a lot of psychiatrist and psychologists visits,  I was granted TBI but only at 10% which really surprised me that it's not more? I've heard that TBI is one of the toughest claims to prove even if the evidence is clear with the linkage to the explosion-but can be done?   I've done a lot of research and when the blast wave goes thru your brain and body it's affects are traumatic and long lasting. Also, many of those "effects" don't even show up until many years later?  Based upon the extensive research, the studies show mood and personality changes can occur as you have mentioned with TBI--but can also be linked to PTSD?. In terms of patience, I've gotten less patient as time has gone by also and early on in the process had a tendency to personalize things...so I've now changed and worked at coming across as more patient and understanding to the docs and it helped my case.  Who knows, maybe you should take a day or two, review all of your  evidence again for the TBI, including "googling" TBI and cross reference the experiences that you are having now with the symptoms of TBI/PTSD which are linked together by the mental health docs.  Then maybe right a "statement of support" of why you think this is all linked to TBI instead of PTSD as well as your rationale behind it? It will be hard but try to keep "emotion" out of your writing and state the facts as you best  you know them? Then make an appointment with your PCP, be very polite and try and make your case for the TBI versus PTSD  linkage by going over what you have found?  Frankly, what the PCP writes can make all of the difference in the world---as you already know.  Maybe, she'll come around and if not, still stay very polite and your best option will be the appeal direction. Frankly, the VA Docs and technicians are all human too, this is a complicated business and they have their own issues to deal with like heavy patient loads. They see a lot of patients and most vets have a lot of  illnesses to deal with versus their civilian docs counterparts? I've had my own experiences both good and bad with my claims and have learned to try not to show my frustration to them, because the docs can discount you/me as a "problem" then they just back off?   I've learned if you/we can convey your narrative or "story of what is  happening and why it is,  will help your case/claims in the long run.

Anyway, think about it....

Godspeed and Good luck, Rootbeer22

Hi rootbeer22, sorry to here all you have been put thru the ringer as well. When I hear other peoples stories and how obvious the injury is, I get even more frustrated. My VSO had me do a statement of support when I filed my NOD. I have also attached my records and notes from the VA as well as from my private doctors. I have not sat with my PCP and try to discuss my case for TBI versus PTSD. I have mentioned in the past that I believe there are a number of things going on that are unrelated to PTSD. I have mentioned before other things that I believe to be unrelated to PTSD. I understand how the symptoms can overlap. But from the beginning I had always believed TBI was the issue, not PTSD. In my opinion, if I have PTSD, it is minimal. But according to the VA they may see that differently, just as they see the claims for TBI differently for vets like you and myself. I was involved in a number of IED/landmine blasts that directly hit the vehicle I was riding in at the time. But only three of them were note worthy in my opinion. This doesn't include the many controlled and uncontrolled blasts we faced almost daily during which most times the minimal stand off requirement was not met. Like you mentioned, the blast wave and pressure from the blasts can cause significant damage itself. I'll never forget the feeling when a blast goes off, especially while being on the ground when one occurs, how the blast wave just enters your body with complete disregard for any body armor that is being worn. I always thought how it was sort of neat how I could never feel it hit my gear. It just would pass right thru and I could feel it in my body. But after doing research and listening to other stories, I now know this is a serious issue that has seen little resolve. I have reached the same level of patience with my docs now and give them the respect they deserve but there are to many "little" things that set me off daily, especially with anger and irritability. The latest concoction of meds they have me for the past 1.5 years or so now have helped more than anything prescribed in the past for my mood and anger. I just want to be able to have this recognized as something other than PTSD. Then maybe I could get into some beneficial treatment other than talking to mental health, doing group therapy, yoga, and taking pills. I hope everything gets better for you and for all our other vets fighting these problems.

Keep up the fight brother and thank you for the input!

ESV12B:

I'm really sorry that you are going thru this but have learned that continued perseverance with regard to the VBA pays off. Asknod and Berta are wonderful examples on this website of Vets and spouses of Vets that have succeed by keeping the good fight going and not taking "no" for an answer? Eventually, I believe the same will happened with you as long as you keeping fighting and you will get your TBI rating that you will obtain and desire. In a lot of ways it seems like we vets have to endure a certain amount of pain to reach our objectives for these claims. No one likes it but it seems to be characteristic of this system? Yesterday,  I made a big mistake at work and it had a lot to do with my memory issues and the TBI? It was not catastrophic and was easily fixed but it shows the impact of some of these injuries that we suffer? Overall, the VBA has been fair with me and my claims but it has not been easy because many times we feel like we are fighting an uphill battle and even with good solid evidence, sometimes the docs don't recognize it or try to tie the symptoms  into other illnesses that a vet already has so they don't have to rate it separately? Frankly, most of the final decisions come down to the opinion of a specific doc and that's always been the key and convincing them to your way of thinking is very important. That why I have a theory about the "luck of the draw" and the docs that you get during any exam. I once went in for a Gulf War Syndrome exam scheduled for 4 hours that only lasted 20 minutes? Despite the fact that I had 4 of the 7 confirmed symptoms of GWI, he had already made up his mind the GWI was not a legitimate issue for veterans of the gulf war? That said, I've been reminded that the same thing happened with Agent Orange and Vietnam Vets so exam bias can play a big part  in the overall disability claims process. Unfortunately,. many of those vets most affected ate no longer around and that's the real shame of that problem.

Anyway, Good Luck and Goodspeed...my fingers are crossed for your eventual success with the TBI diagnosis and ratings...

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA's strategy is to just stall and stall and hope the vet gives up or dies.    We all have to live our lives and at the same time try and get the VA to do the right thing.  When I am doing a claim with them I usually become obsessed with it.   This is hard on me but this how I focus.    Just keep fighting it.  Delay, deny until they die....VA's motto.