VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Time Frame For Ptsd Results After C And P

Rate this question

mountain tyme

Question

Hello, I am new to this forum but I have a question about a year ago I filed a claim with the VA for service connect PTSD due to personal assualt during my time in the AF, I had been seeing a cilvian councler for about a year and she referred me a doctor to be tested for PTSD the test took quite a few hours and the result was PTSD and a GAF of 36 both my councler and the doctor that did the testing both concured that they felt very strongly it was serviced connected due to the events that occured durning my military committment...I decided to file a claim with the VA with the help of a Veteran organization needless to say durning the process I have had 4 different reps because they seemed to find other jobs and left our small town...my claim was denied twice and finally the VA rep. sent a letter requesting I have a face to face review or something like that..this is all greek to me...so the Va rep. received a call after I submitted my last set of evidence that I found in a trunk in the attic of the Artical 15 that my Supervisor received and also made copies of the original EEOC compliant I filed for sexual harrasement which resulted in him also receiving a letter of rep. in the folder were also 6 statements from members that worked in the same area as I...to make a long story short...after those papers were reviewed the VA rep. received a phone call asking if I would consent to a C and P exam which I did consent to...I had the exam in Aug 06 and the Doctor who performed the examination after about 3 hours turned and told me that he felt that I had endured enough stress and that there were other exams he could do but felt that there was no need...and that he was going to rate me low...He asked me if I was working and I told him no that I had been on SSd since 2002 do to ashma and anixiey disorder...I told him do to my health insurace I can only have 8 sessions of counceling per year...and he told me that I need to go more often and that was the end of that and I left he gave me his card...now the question how long will it take to find out if I receive service connected so I can go for treatment for my condition...if I go up to the VA hospital which is 2 1/2 hours from my home the VA hospital said they would have to charge my health insurance unless it is service connected...heck if I only have 8 sessions per year I sure in the heck not going to drive all that way with the cost of gas....so anyone have any ideal how long it takes for them to make a decision when I called that toll free number I talked to a VA guy and he said that my packet was sent to the review board on Oct 24th, 2006. Thank You for your time I didn't mean to make this question so long.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mountain

Did you send in your stressor letter? Did the VA accept your stressor? You got your C&P exam. I think you should be pretty close to a decision. Are you employable? If not ask for TDIU. Keep posting and we will help you do you NOD if you are denied or low balled on the PTSD. If it was a combat situation it would be easier, but some of our combat PTSD vets have a hard time as well and it is no cake walk.

Mountain

Did you send in your stressor letter? Did the VA accept your stressor? You got your C&P exam. I think you should be pretty close to a decision. Are you employable? If not ask for TDIU. Keep posting and we will help you do you NOD if you are denied or low balled on the PTSD. If it was a combat situation it would be easier, but some of our combat PTSD vets have a hard time as well and it is no cake walk.

What happened when I called the Va for the first time I was a bit overwhelmed and was directed to talk to a Women Veteran advisor...I was very emotional and could not talk about what happened to me so she asked me to send her a letter about what happened and she would get back with me ....at that time I had not gone to the VA service rep. so I never did a formal stressor letter just kept sending in papers as I found them...this happened like 27 years ago...and I just tuned 18 at the time...there was a congressional investigation into the matter and I sent all them letters into the VA...then after I finally went to the VA service lady in town she helped me put everything in order...after she left I came across other evidence of events that took place along with newspapers related to the case from back then...It is very hard for me I lost alot over the events that took place...and I would wish this on no one...it is just a personal hell..

Mountain

Hummm I didn't ask for TDIU was I suppose to? no one asked me what I wanted I thought they are suppose to determine if I am eligiable for that...they know I am on SSD and can't work...due to anixity and ashma caused by stress...

Dear mountain tyme, you came to the right place for information, people in this board are very caring and they will help as much as they can. Welcome

Sorry you had to endure what you went through. You have a very strong case, first, you have diagnosis of PTSD, second, you have a very low GAF score of 36, third, you have a link that service connect you to service, forth, you have enough evidence to back up your claim, fifth, you currently are on SSD that shows you are totally and permanently disable and unemployable.

When you send evidence to the VA never send the originals, but copies and do it via certified mail, so you have the receip/prove of what ever you send.

you said, that you were twice denied before, let us know the reasons for the denials, did you file anotice of disagreement (NOD) on both of the denials. ( My personal opinion, I dont know how the VA could denied your claim ).

Did you requested a copy of your C/P, if you didn`t requested inmediatelly.

If you are in need of counseling because of a personal assault you do not need to be service connected to receive it, if you have the evidence that this happened to you take it to the VA and talk to a counselor, and because you are so far away from the VA hospital request a doctor closer to your home.

Hope this helps Rigo

Dear mountain tyme, you came to the right place for information, people in this board are very caring and they will help as much as they can. Welcome

Sorry you had to endure what you went through. You have a very strong case, first, you have diagnosis of PTSD, second, you have a very low GAF score of 36, third, you have a link that service connect you to service, forth, you have enough evidence to back up your claim, fifth, you currently are on SSD that shows you are totally and permanently disable and unemployable.

When you send evidence to the VA never send the originals, but copies and do it via certified mail, so you have the receip/prove of what ever you send.

you said, that you were twice denied before, let us know the reasons for the denials, did you file anotice of disagreement (NOD) on both of the denials. ( My personal opinion, I dont know how the VA could denied your claim ).

Did you requested a copy of your C/P, if you didn`t requested inmediatelly.

If you are in need of counseling because of a personal assault you do not need to be service connected to receive it, if you have the evidence that this happened to you take it to the VA and talk to a counselor, and because you are so far away from the VA hospital request a doctor closer to your home.

Hope this helps Rigo

Good Morning Rigo,

When I first was Diagonoised with PTSD, I did not know anything about the working of the VA which was over a year ago...I was given the VA 800 # to call to find out how to put in a claim it was hard because I do not trust the military system (as far as my case goes do to the events that occured to me back in the 70's there was quite a bit of cover-ups needless to say) and I relate Military and VA are the same in my mind...so when I finally called it was quite an emotional door opener...I talked to a very nice women and she told me it might be easier to just go ahead and send her a letter describing what happened to the best of my abilities...which I did....after she received the letter I was sent a letter with some forms on it which I filled out...at the time I was ignorant and had not talked to anyone regarding my situlation and a few weeks later I received a letter from the VA that denied my claim because they said that I did not send any proof that a personal assualt took place or that I had PTSD...now that was back in Aug 05, that is when My Mom told me to go the a VA service officer in town to get some help in filling my claim...they sent a letter of disagreement and he sent my doctor statements and records...in Dec. o5 I received another denial letter...because I had no proof of a personal attack/assult took place while in the military...so I went back to the VA service center...and the guy who was there before had left and a new person was assigned to the office..he read the letter and said without proof it would be hard to win..I told him that my supervisor received an artical 15, that I had filed an EEoc complaint with social actions that there was a congressional investigation ect ect...and that I had most of the orignal paperwork and some newspapers from 78...since no one told me I was suppose to send anything like that I didn't I just sent a timeline of events...he told me to gather up what I had so I went up into the Attic and went through my trunk and he made copies of everything...and sent in another letter NOD is what it was...and after receiving that packet is when I received a call from the VA service rep. asking if I would consent to a C and P exam which I did...in Sept 06 like I said in my other post the doctor said that he was going to rate me low...but I have not seen a copy of the c and p it is only what the doctor said...

what I am not sure of...is how they determine the rating system...since I filed for PTSD will the VA go ahead and say...well since she is already on SSd due to anixiety and ashma and not PTSD will the VA determine what percent of the PTSD has effected my life or contributed to my disability...and give me like 20%...or since I can not work due to other factors just go ahead and say well we will rate her 100% very confusing...I just want help...not all this stress...for years I was doing well...then about 8 years ago due to my husbands job he was transfered to the town where the base is where the attacks took place...I have never been the same since...so we have decided to move away as soon as we can...things will work out as they should...most of what happened in my case when I filed is that I did not seek information regarding the process and I am still a bit out there as to what the next step is...I received this site from the VA service rep I met she is a women and she suggested it to me...I am glad I decided to check it out..I will keep you posted...life in such an adventure is it not.

MT,

Welcome to hadit.

VA is telling you BS -- MST, Military Sexual Trauma -- You are entitled to full treatment and any medications on a regular and recurring basis as needed, solely due to letting VA know this this happened. You DO NOT have to be SC for this prior to receiving treatment and care and there is NO CHARGE ! ! Also, you can receive treatment at your nearest Vet Center, for this and anything else related to it such as your PTSD, problems with life, family interactions, work etc...

Everything this effects in your life. Treatment for this disability has already been mandated by congress.

Also, for personal assault (MST) VA is supposed to send you a different form to fill out for your PTSD claim

not the same form at all as per say a combat vet.

carlie