VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Noftifying VA of retirement from job

Rate this question

JDMilw

Question

I just received a rating of 100% for lung cancer.  I am going thru radiation treatment now and will complete it this Friday.

I am retiring from my job with the Postal Service at the end of May.  I am 64 years old.

Should I notify the VA of my retirement and will my retirement effect how long I will receive 100%?

Thanks.

Joe

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Your income does not affect your VA disability rating unless it's a rating for TDIU (which I assume yours is not). VA likely made you P&T for the Lung Cancer with no future exams. If so, you could go out an win the lottery, and nothing will happen to your VA disability check. There are certain cancer conditions that do have follow-up exams (prostate is one), but I don't recall seeing a Routine Future Exam (VA Lingo) for lung cancer when it has been rated at 100%

I am sorry to hear about your condition. Best of luck.

Thank you both for the reply.

What's "P&T"?

I haven't seen the actual notification from the VA.  Only the "early word" from DAV.  They said effective date is 3/15/16.

I actually also had prostate cancer and was receiving 100 for a couple of years.  Upon follow-up it was reduced to 10.  I also had colon cancer but no comp for that.

My cancer is stage 1B and I'm almost done with radiation treatment.  No evidence it has spread at this time, but oncologist says there's a 25% chance so we will see.

Again, thanks for the info.

Permanent and Total. If Chapter 35 came with your 100% award then you are P&T.

There are other things that will let you know (like no future exam), but Chapter 35 benefits is a dead giveaway.

Edited by Meddac

Duh!  Guess I should have figured that out.

OK I'll wait for the official word from VA and see if the Article 35 comes.

Thanks for the info and well wishes.

"Only the "early word" from DAV.  They said effective date is 3/15/16"

Huh????? This sounds like a Nehmer claim as I assume they granted it due to AO and Vietnam service.

It will be interesting to know how they came up with that date.

Did they mention Nehmer in the decision or did they feel this was SC under a non AO basis?

sorry, I am biting at the bit but you don't have the decision, ....when the decision comes can you please scan and attach it here because that retro date might be all screwed up.

or maybe they did the claim right.....

What I mean is found in all of my posts that have the word Footnote One in them and NVLSP , Rick Spataro, in our AO forum here, available under a search.

Has VA provided all of your health care ? Let's hope the cancer does not return.