VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security disability

Rate this question

harrysday

Question

Hey all I am 47 y/o 100%tp and I get a disability pension from my local civil service firefighter job that I worked at for 20 years and during that time I worked a side job that I paid into social security would I qualify for benefits of ssdi thanks for the help in this adventure

It's possible.  Go to your local SSA office and inquire about SSDI entitlement Monday. 

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), you need to go ahead and apply for SSDI. When some veterans inquire about SSDI either by phone or in person they are given miss information.  So to be absolutely sure go ahead and apply and let SSA give you a written decision and you can go from there.  Even if they deny you, you can get an attorney and you may still win your benefits depending on the onset date of your disability.

Pete992, is absolutely right. When you go to the local SSA office have copies of all documents. That you can give them to validate your disabilities/100% P&T.  The SSA has a Wound Warrior and Veteran Program that will expedite your SSDI claim. 

UPDATE: Well I met with my lawyer and went over my application for ssdi they said i have a slam dunk case but with my pension I fall under the windfall elimination provision .that means my benefits will be reduced by 80% so much for paying into the system sorry for the rant do I still go for the 20% on my own or with the lawyer thanks all 

5 hours ago, harrysday said:

UPDATE: Well I met with my lawyer and went over my application for ssdi they said i have a slam dunk case but with my pension I fall under the windfall elimination provision .that means my benefits will be reduced by 80% so much for paying into the system sorry for the rant do I still go for the 20% on my own or with the lawyer thanks all 

I'm treading into unknown waters. If I were in your situation. I'd crunch financial numbers to see if SSDI would benefit my situation. Especially, if your not required to apply for SSDI with your civil service pension.  I'd consider the tax benefits too.  If I was to pursue SSDI.  I sure the hell wouldn't pay a lawyer to do something I could do myself.  If SSDI is denied the first time, then maybe seek legal counsel.  JMO

• HadIt.com Elder

Beware of the Federal Windfall Provision at where civil service employees who get SSDI lose half of their SSA and 60 percent of their retirement just because of a mistake by the congress. Even though the recipients pay into both systems. J