VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I file a CUE or leave NOD in place?

Rate this question

ADodge

Question

I have reposted this because originally I had posted it under someone else's question and I was asked to repost under a new topic.  Simply because I might get more answers and also there might be other VETs out there with a similar situation who could benefit from the advice given.

I hope I am not repeating someone else's question.  This is not at all easy to understand.  So I'll just ask.  I was discharged in 1984 from the Navy.  I had married an active duty Navy enlisted and so my health care was still at the same base I was discharged from.  After 3 months post discharge the Doctor that was handling my health care suggested I file a claim for Asthma service connected.  Because when I joined the Service in 1980 I did not have Asthma but when I was discharged I was being treated for Asthma.  So I filed the Claim in December if 1984.  I was discharged the last day of March 1984.  And my discharge was honorable so no problem there.  The initial claim was that I filed was for Bronchial Asthma service connected. and it was denied in 1985. I didn't appeal it because back then I didn't know anything about appealing the denial and just figured that was it.  The denial stated THE EVIDENCE DOES NOT ESTABLISH SERVICE CONNECTION FOR THE FOLLOWING BRONCHIAL ASTHMA DUE TO ALLERGY.  Bronchial Asthma denied. (Funny that is what causes Asthma Allergies.  but god knows I grew up on a farm and never had any problems with allergies at least not so much as to cause me a problem with breathing.  And I had never been diagnosed with any allergies either before entering the service.)  Anyway time passed and I forgot all about this claim.  in 1997 I began receiving SSDI and part of my disability was the Asthma and by then I also had COPD.  More time passed and in 2014 the VSO in the town I live in suggested I file a claim with the VA for service connected disability for asthma. So I did.  And after again submitting to PFTs done by the VA I was approved at 60%.  Now I would never have questioned anything after that except that when I filed for the COPD and a few other items I was told that my representative was the DAV.  And I asked why was the DAV my representative and who in the DAV was.  And I was told told that back in 1984 I picked the DAV to represent me.  And I said "  I did???  Why would I do that?  and that response was "because you filed a claim back then.  That was when I thought SHIT I need to get a copy of all my records.  SO I finally did and that is when I learned and remember filing that claim.    So Here is my question.  Since Nothing except the severity of the Asthma has changed since 1984.  Would that initial claim be a CUE?   Wouldn't it be right to file a CUE regarding that claim so that the effective date of the current claim would date back to 1984?   Currently I have a NOD filed regarding the effective date.  But I really feel it is a CUE.  Is that right or not?    And if someone does answer this could you answer like you are explain this shit to a two year old!!!! LMAO  because All of this is just so Damn confusing to me!!!   

Thanks a lot,    

I was asked to scan and post some VA C&P reports and I will do that as soon as I get back from meeting with my Local Congressman.  I will keep you all in mind as I ask him about doing the back up of VET Appeals!!! And other Veteran topics!!! 

Aileen

SO this is what Bertha asked in response to my previous post of this Question:  

Did you or the rep specifically state "Due to Allergy" on the claim?

Do your SMRs reveal you did, in fact develop allergies in the military?

Can you scan and attach here their reasons and bases for the 1984 claim denial and the evidence they used?

Obviously, with the successful outcome of the 2014 claim for the asthma , the VA certainly considered your SMRs but it seems they missed something in the older denial....so maybe this would even by a 38 CFR 3.156 claim.

I know it is confusing but if we can see the older decision (and we might need the newer one too) we can determine whether there is cause for potentially more retro due to a better  EED.

Did the 2014 claim state the asthma was 'due to' allergies?

Cover C file number, name, address, prior to scanning and attaching it here.

I focused on the 'due to ' part because statements like that can lock us in to one theory of entitlement when other theories could be 'due to exposure to chemicals, via your MOS etc etc.

So Here is what I have but I also have this very strange 600 form that was placed in my medical record at the end of my in-active reserve time.  Notice the date Apr 8 86  See all the things it list that I am suppose to be allergic to.  Well if I had been allergic to all those things before I joined the Navy I would never have been able to join the Navy because I would have died as a child.  Considering I grew up on a Farm!!!!  I mean WTF who the hell is this Captain English and why is he putting this document in my Military medical record years after my discharge????  I don't understand!!!! This is way too screwy!!! 

Edited by ADodge
remov files

Ok Well I hope I did that right and the files are viewable.  I don't know how to upload them as open docs so they are loaded as PDF files.  If there is a way to upload them as open files maybe someone could tell me because that would be grand!!  

Thanks Aileen 

They came out OK for me to read...

I think the 600 thing might Help your attempt to get a Better EED.

Others will chime in too.......

I need to read the downloads a few more times...

I am a little confused, did you have any military time prior to 1980?  On your special 600 I can see your name and SSN.  Also I did not see the reason or bases/ VA explanation of why they rated you 60%.

Since you have a current claim it is always better to file a NOD.  A NOD and A CUE claim would garner/warrant the same benefits but a CUE claim, the veteran lose  the BOD (Benefit of Doubt) and a CUE claim can be filed at anytime but a NOD must be filed within one year of a decision.

The veteran obviously had allergies in service that can lead to asthma, and the vet has been SCed for that

They denied in 1986  because the asthma is due to the allergies....??? with no rating given.

It seems Capt English wrote that 600 when you were in the reserves.

I am confused too.

Did you download the recent decision that awarded the SC for the asthma? I assume it is recent (within the last year) because you filed a NOD.

I just don't seem to see that decision here. We need to see how they awarded .

Did you raise 38 CFR 3.156 in the NOD?

Since I assume the NOD was timely filed (within one year of their award) I would suggest you also file CUE too, but maybe 38 USC 3.156 would be better way to attain a better EED.

It bothers me however that there is no percentage given next to the NSC diagnostic codes,in the 1984 decision.

We cant tell if the allergies/asthma was at a ratable level at that time....( at least at 10% ratable based on the VASRD at the time. 1984 decision)

Ok How stupid of me was that not to see if my name and SSI # could be seen even after blacking it out with a sharpie!!! DUH  I have removed them.  God I hope I don't pay for that stupidity!!!   Anyway Bertha you wrote "Did you download the recent decision that awarded the SC for the asthma? I assume it is recent (within the last year) because you filed a NOD. I just don't seem to see that decision here. We need to see how they awarded . You know I have just gone though the entire cd that I was given by the VA that is suppose to have copies of all records and letter on it.  And that original letter in which I got notice of my claim being approved is NOT on the Disk.. I'm telling you from back in 1984 to the current date my files and claim have been screwed up in the strangest was possible.  I didn't remember filing the claim back in 1984 until they told me I did.  Yet there are references that state I never filed a claim previously, but they know I did!!! And they know it was denied!!! 

Did you raise 38 CFR 3.156 in the NOD?  I don't know what this is and perhaps you could tell me.  The DAV rep I have told me I had to write the NOD up that all she does is submit it once I have it written up.  SO I a not really sure I covered everything that should have been covered. I really don't find her to be of very much help it really is rather annoying because when I filed my first claim No one ever got in touch with me or ever asked if I needed help.  I was asked if I wanted to name an organization to help me file my claim and I picked the DAV the person at the VA said Someone from there would contact me.  What a joke because that never happened.  And it wouldn't have happened this time either if I hadn't called and asked why the ebenefits site listed me as having assigned an organization to represent me!!!  

The Congressman said today that Appeals are back up to 2022!!! But that they are working on trying to fix that!!!! I'm thinking I'll be dead before anything happens!!! Oh wait never mind If the leukemia gets real bad I can have my doctor write a statement and I can try to have the Appeal pushed forward to before I die!!!  Right that is almost too funny and also way too sad a state of affairs too!!! 

I will have to call the local office or my DAV rep and tell her to provide me with a copy of the original notification of my claim being approved.  I just hope she wont feel I'm asking too much of her!!!