VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Rate this question

Jimmer

Question

Hi guys, I am hoping you can help me out.  I am in the process of buying a home,  getting  a V.A. loan.  The department that gives the COE, has notice my SSN number is off by one.   I indicated that several years ago I did bring that up to the V.A., and I received several different answers how to proceed.   I was told not to worry because the V.A. uses your file number more then your SSN.  (big mistake on my part), and I forgot about it.    I have gone thru my C-file, and the only thing that has the wrong social  security number is my DD214, and a medical piece of paper as well.  My Veteran Identification Data bank has my correct social security number.  My loan officer had a conference call with  someone from the VA, and he was nothing more then a jerk.  I have my social security card, I will provide a sworn affidavit  that this is my correct number.  I am suppose to close on the house in ten days, so any advice would be helpful.   I told the guy at the VA to look at my File number for verification, and he said that wasn't possible.  Then when I asked him then why do you have it on the COE form, he stumbled and stuttered, and said it was just to "fill a spot on the form".   Thanks .    

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

My DD-214 also had my SS# wrong.  I was still on active duty when we changed from serial numbers to SS#s.  I requested, and received, a corrected DD-215 with the correct SS# from the National Archives.  I did this by phone a long time ago, but I remember how helpful the NA rep was and getting the DD-215 in a matter of days. I ended up with 4 Honorable Discharges and only the last one used SS# so the problems were resolved with the single DD-215.

Hope this helps!