VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Not too long ago I had an EMG for upper extremities, testing for cervical radiculopathy. I was DXd with bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome, specifically loss of sensation in my fingers/hands.  They prescribed wrist braces for both.

I have been dealing with loss of feeling and some pain in my hands.  Also noticed that I have been dropping things that I didn't used to have problems with...nothing big, but small stuff, pens, pencils, papers, small toys, nothing requiring strong grip to hold onto.

About midway through my 6 year enlistment I was in a MVA, and injured one of my wrists when the steering wheel whipped around.  I went to the base clinic and had it documented.  It hurt for a month or two, but I don't recall if I had to wear a splint.

Do I have a legitimate claim with this? If so, should I file a FDC, since it was the VA who DXd me with the carpal tunnel?

Semper Fi

Andyman,

This is getting weirder by the minute bud. I have carpal tunnel too but as you can see DENIED!!!

If you have documentation in your SMR then go for it but as you can see i had pains everywhere and still think i have arthritis in every joint because i hurt all over but nothing specific in my SMR about wrists so DENIED.

arthritis, right wrist (also claimed as right hand fractures with carpal tunnel syndome and chronic tenosynovitis)   Not Service Connected    
joint pains claimed as undiagnosed illness due to Gulf War   Not Service Connected    

status post left inguinal hernia repair (claimed as hernia) 0% Service Connected   09/16/1995
major depressive disorder, moderate recurrent (claimed as memory loss as due to an undiagnosed illness) (claimed as Persian Gulf Syndrome) 50% Service Connected   06/19/2013
joint pains (hands) as due to an undiagnosed illness (EPTS) (claimed as Persian Gulf Syndrome)   Not Service Connected    
arthritis, left wrist (also claimed as right hand fractures with carpal tunnel syndome and chronic tenosynovitis)   Not Service Connected

3 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Not too long ago I had an EMG for upper extremities, testing for cervical radiculopathy. I was DXd with bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome, specifically loss of sensation in my fingers/hands.  They prescribed wrist braces for both.

I have been dealing with loss of feeling and some pain in my hands.  Also noticed that I have been dropping things that I didn't used to have problems with...nothing big, but small stuff, pens, pencils, papers, small toys, nothing requiring strong grip to hold onto.

About midway through my 6 year enlistment I was in a MVA, and injured one of my wrists when the steering wheel whipped around.  I went to the base clinic and had it documented.  It hurt for a month or two, but I don't recall if I had to wear a splint.

Do I have a legitimate claim with this? If so, should I file a FDC, since it was the VA who DXd me with the carpal tunnel?

Semper Fi

i can't answer your question andy. but many years ago, i was diagnosed with moderate bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. i had the release surgery on the left but never the right, as the problem resolved itself. that was 2000 and no symptons since. i can also tell you my surgery was great. one thing about the gainesville, fl va is they get doctors from shands rotate through. the resident who did my surgery left me with a neat scar that looks like its part of my love lines. you wouldn't have known i had surgery unless i told you!!

Guess I will have to put it together and see what happens.  At least it was the VA that DXd my carpal tunnel. I was getting the EMG for cervical spine issues.  I don't have the pain type carpal tunnel, I get the numbness, and general lack of feeling. 

On 5/13/2016 at 5:44 AM, Andyman73 said:

Guess I will have to put it together and see what happens.  At least it was the VA that DXd my carpal tunnel. I was getting the EMG for cervical spine issues.  I don't have the pain type carpal tunnel, I get the numbness, and general lack of feeling. 

when the va did an emg for my carpal tunnel, they also did one for my servical spine. the hands were positive but the neck was negative!!

Edited by iceturkee

My neck came back as suggestive of but not diagnostic of cervical radiculopathy.  Which is their way of saying yep, but nope.

Semper Fi

I have been DXed for cervical radiculopathy through VA as well. I had a MRI done and it showed bulging discs at C4-C5, C5-C6 and protrusion at C7. I'm currently enrolled in the Pain Management Program. I've been through Physical Therapy at the VA , given a TENS unit, heating pad, given a device grip to pickup things with, a back scratcher and a device to help me put my socks and shoes on too! VA also out-sourced more treatments at a place called Select Physical Therapy, which I went there for four months. Recently finished there in mid-April. I constantly experience tingling, numbness, stiffness and stabbing pains in my fingers, hands, arms, neck, shoulders, legs, feet, toes and chest pains. I have numerous SMRs of treatments for these problems. I often will drop things from lack of feeling. I take numerous medications which does nothing for these ailments. I filed my claims for Hysterectomy, bilateral foot and cervical radiculopathy on March 18, 2016. Today, I went for a C&P for Hysterectomy and bilateral foot. Hopefully, soon I will receive order to report for a C&P for the cervical radiculopathy any day now. I will keep everyone updated with as much information as I receive it.

Reach One To Teach One