VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Severity of my Tbi is not a question and it's also SC. It's been rated at 70% in 2010 and took an appeal to grant SC. The judge also ordered me a C&P for an increase. If it is increased to 100% by it self and if I am still able to work can i? I know I can't if its TDIU which I do not want at this time, currently 90%. I know I'm looking for a job were my memory won't hinder my ability to do the job, nothing in aviation apparently. This is what is in the hospitak record, "cerebral contusion with diffuse axonal injury to bilateral frontal and temporal lobes" would this be able to apply for a bilateral issue? I know its considered bilateral in my brain left and right frontal lobes.

Edited by jfrei

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

It is somewhat of a grey area, but, yes you should be able to work with 100% SC for TBI.  Max Cleland, Tammy Duckworth, and John McCain are some well known examples of disabled Vets who overcame their disabilities and went on with a successful career.  

I say if you can work, then "go for it".  Dont let "fear of losing VA benefits" hold you back from your dreams.  

It wont take much of a career to exceed the income you get from disability, and, even if it was reduced, you could still get it back if you were unable to work down the road.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

The vets you mention did not have TBI's to my knowledge.  I agree it is a grey area.  If you are 100% for PTSD and you are able to work full time and the VA finds out you are then I bet you would face a reduction.  Since TBI is a physical as well as mental condition/disability I wonder how the VA would view a 100% TBI vet being able to work full time?  The whole idea of treating mental and  physical disabilities differently gets my goat. You can be a quadruple amputee and if you are able to find a job all is well, but if you are 100% for PTSD you may and probably will have a problem.  If you have PTSD it is even hard to get a 70% rating if you are employed.  When I went for C&P exams for mental health the first question the prostitute shrinks would ask me is " Are you working".  When I said "yes" it was all downhill from there with my claim for increase being denied by the VA who used the exam result to deny.  Before I went to work with a 100% TBI I would get assurance from many sources that it would not affect my rating.  If not for IMO's I would still be sitting at 30% from the VA even though I eventually got SSDI for the same condition.  They were hostile to me due to years of prior exams and complaints about the quality of the exams.

John

Yea I just had a 6 hour neuropsych and my local VA not for disability but for my treatment polytrama plan. I currently am awaiting my initial SSDI claim work it's way through I have my SSA exam on the 30th, my test may or may not be ready for them in time for the exam just sucks if he makes me do another test. At least I should hope it's as through to get a complete picture of how my mind is still xxxxxx 10 years later.