VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denial of Social Security

Rate this question

Mr. Vic

Question

Hello everyone from Germany,

I am  80% Service Connected/ 100% TDIU Veteran.  I was awarded my TDIU back in December 2015.  I had applied for my Social Security prior to this VA decision and fortunately I was able to submit my award VA letters to the Baltimore Office that handles SSD Claims. I was hoping this would help with my SD Claim, but I got denied on this first "go-around".  I've heard that there could perhaps be some more of these "go-arounds" with the SSD folks.  I'm puzzled on why I got denied .  I suffer from a bad PTSD disorder but apparently the SSD folks see it quite different.  Any testimony from others in this forum with a similar situation would be appreciated.  Thanks.

PS; I did get a Lawyer to help with my appeal.... I don't feel like messing with this stress....

I was also denied the first time, pretty sure that is the Norm for SSDI.  I have filled out their packets more than 5 times now as well.  I received a call about my answers to when I stopped working today, since I was confused on whether my Terminal Leave upon retirement counted or not.  They gave me the contact info to my 'decision maker' to explain to him, called and he was a Contractor who dealt with the Medical-Side and could care less.  He said they were "playing ping pong with me" and that he would annotate it.  He said he 'couldn't speak about the decision' but proceeded to speak in the past tense as if it were a done deal, so that was encouraging.  Honestly, I don't think they would keep worrying about the date unless they weren't figuring backpay.  Wish me luck!  Not sure how I can reach a "natural" 100% and not get my SSDI money back from Uncle Sam.

I received notification today that I was "medically approved", but nothing much else, and the start date was wrong...which, by my figuring, will short me $10K.  Wait and see, I guess, I am glad that I may be able to put this chapter behind me, too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your SSDI should start 6 months from the last day you were able to work.  If you file in January you must deduct 6 months of pay from last date you worked until you are eligible to get benefits.  It is then two years wait for Medicare after you get approved.   Take the Medicare A&B.  I  got SSDI within three months and I was pretty shocked.  I had three good IME/IMO's that fit the SSDI requirements to a Tee. It is usual to be turned down the first time you apply.  Mental health issues are the easiest claims to win IMO with SSDI.    If it is physical they always find some job you could do unless you are on ventilator. SSDI is a big game in which lawyers and SSDI judges are big winners.  The only losers are poor disabled sods who must wait years sometimes living on air and county food.  What is not so funny is the number of poor who get SSI for themselves and entire families.  SSI is welfare while SSDI is insurance for those who have worked but are disabled.   In 2002 I got $1250 a month and I was earning about $50,000 a year at USPS.  Now that is major pay cut since my OPM was reduced by 60%.  The amount I got would not have supported me without VA and private disability insurance I got.  I had four sources of money when USPS fired me and had five sources eventually.   They threw Bro' Rabbit into the briar patch.

John

I 'back doored' the SSA site and downloaded my letter, like you can do with ebennies sometimes.  Award granted, SSDI c/w...now waiting on a back pay check sent yesterday in the mail and I guess arguing the onset date with them to get the 10's of thousands they shorted me.  Feeling very, very grateful to have this finished as well.  Now, I am going to try and use the SSDI award as justification for making my 100% Permanent so that my kids can use the education benefits.  If I can get that done, I can also quit looking over my shoulder and concentrate on getting as much quality as I can out of this life I have left.

It might be a good idea to save some retro for an opinion from an independent doctor that your disability is Permanent and Total,in case they deny P & T status.