VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Benefits - yes or no?

Rate this question

UCedin0

Question

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/UCedino/media/yes or no_zpsjycthase.jpg.html

Yes or no, am I eligible under VA rules? 

Prior to 1980 I had less than 180 days of service.  Remarks at bottom of DD214 states the reason for the honorable discharge was Convenience Of The Government. 

Everything I find states I am INELIGIBLE *except* "if you were discharged due to (1) hardship, (2) the convenience of the government, (3) reduction-in-force, (4) certain medical conditions, or (5) a service-connected disability."

If that #(2) criteria is met, is it just a yes or no answer or are there qualifications such as "well you didn't do this or that"? 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Apply and see what happens? If things go well, good If not, at least you will have (supposedly) information as to why you are not eligible.

When I was separated from active duty, the 180 day rule existed, but was waived under certain conditions. In my case it was moot, because of war zone service, combat related awards, and a service wide reduction in force.  At the time, my eligibility for an "early out" was predicated on duty station. When the mandatory early out notice was received, my assigned unit (ship) was not covered.  But, as a result of a later TDY for more than 30 days, the regulations attached me to the TDY unit, making me eligible.  This caused no end of repercussions, since I was the only electronics tech, and replacements were hard to come by. Further, since the ship did not have a rated crypto tech, the replacement had to be crypto rated.  There was a bit of hard feeling on my part about this, which gets into something called "pro pay" at the time. If you went to crypto school, you got it. Here I was, with all the responsibility and duty, yet ineligible. The time limit that applied in my case was 18 months, not 180 days.

Yes, you are eligible for compensation. Check M21-1 III.ii.6.7.a

Simply put... 1 You are a Veteran, 2 Your service can be verified by receipt of a DD214, and 3. Your character of discharge is other than dishonorable. 

Since your service was 30+ years ago your challenge is going to prove your disability is service connected, unless your service treatment records clearly back it up.