VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aortic valve /ihd

Rate this question

treysnonna

Question

My husband has had diabetes diagnosised in 2001.   In 2008 he found out he had heart valve problems.  He filed secondary service connected to diabetes.  Boots on ground in Vietnam.  They denied the claim.  Said it was not related to diabetes.  In 2013  he had to have that valve replaced and they found coronary artery disease.  We filed that claim.  Approved it 60%.   But what should the date of benefit start.  And we did not get the 100% for thr three months.  

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

You need to go the VA Schedule of Ratings, here,  for diabetic kidney disease, and the diagnostic code they used unless the VA enclosed them with the decision, to see if his symptoms match up to a ratable level.

The IMO doctor needs to have a copy of that rating schedule as well as prepare an IMO that gives a full medical rationale , that shows this is a

secondary condition with no other etiology but for his DMII and that follows the IMO criteria here at hadit , searchable  under “Read First if getting an IMO”.

They ,the IMO doctor, also needs a copy of the Pensacola VA doctor’s report and their qualifications.        

Berta I could not find anything in the schedule of ratings for diabetic  kidney..  Just regular renal failure or dysfunction.  But that was the diagnosis his kidney dr wrote down.(type11 diabetic nephrology) on the DBQ.  How do I find a  a doc to do an imo or ime.  How much does it usually cost.  And what are the percentage that they can get him a favorable rating.

It is rated under DC 7502 but usually due to hypertensive heart disease from, a prime condition, that can lead to renal (kidney) insufficiency.

There are 152 claims at the BVA with this DC in them...They do not all refer to kidney disease.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp

If you do a search there maybe you would find something to help you.

If the kidney disease is due to dabetic hypertensivity ,(HBP,) there is a chance to get it SCed but I dont know if it is at a ratable level based on the VA statement.

Dr Craig Bash did 2 IM0s for me.He is a Neuroradiologist but was very capable to give expert opinion on my husbdand's undiagnosed and untreated DMII.

His right hand man John Dorle has contact info here and in the radio shows we did with him and Dr. Bash. Or if you find any granted for kidney disease due to DMII at the BVA, the vet surely had an IMO and maybe their name would be in the decision.

"How much does it usually cost." That is hard to determine  "And what are the percentage that they can get him a favorable rating. "

I cannot answer that , it all depends on the medical evidence.

Maybe someone here has had experience with a Renal disease expert and might refer you to them.

Some of the BVA cases have rating info in them.

Hypertension is a factor in most kidney related disease.Also the IMO doctor might be able to opine on whether the IHD caused the aortic heart disease.

Somewhere here available under a search is the VA DMII training letter and what it says as to kidney disease and many other complications of diabetes.

I did most of the medical research info for Dr Bash before I paid him.

I proved my husband had DMII, left undiagnosed and untreated by VA and that it contributed to his death.The DMII training letter helped me present a claim that was very strong and I am sure if I had not prepared the evidence so well, the IMO fee would have been higher because it would have taken considerable more time for any IMO doctor to prepare.

Edited by Berta

My husbands vso is at thr eglin va clinic.  He has not gotten a doc number yet.  They are dragging there feet.   She said he has to wait to get that doc num, before he can send in any more evidence.  She said when you send in more evidence your appeal goes back to end of line again.  By the way she is new to his case.  The other vso left.   Berta, did you have to prove your husbands diabetes in order to get dic.?  If the service member dies of something different than his service connected disabilities, does the wife still get dic?  I feel like I push my husband too hard at times.  If it was left to him completely, he would never file.  He has sleep apnea and will not file for it.  He wears cpap for the last five years now.  I had told him for yrs that he had it.  He ingnored me.  He had surgery on his ears, and the anistheologist came out afterwards and ask if he had sleep problems.  I was standing there and I told him  he has sleep apnea but does not believe me, and I'm the one that should know, when I'm the one he sleeps with.  The dr confirmed it,. Sent him to a sleep study and wala!  Dr. Mom is right!!!

"Berta, did you have to prove your husbands diabetes in order to get dic.? "

Yes. But they awarded for 1151 death and also for AO IHD death.I had to prove each claim.

"If the service member dies of something different than his service connected disabilities, does the wife still get dic?" 

That is answered in our DIC forum. There are 3 ways to obtain DIC. Search under DIC regulations and they will pop up