VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Afternoon folks, new kid on the block here.

Last week I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, which is an autoimmune syndrome, it's also known as Siccus Syndrome.

I was going through the VA's lists of medical conditions, and didn't fine the condition.

Anyone have any information on how the VA rates Sjogren's or Siccus Syndrome?

Thanks,

Allan

3 hours ago, allansc2005 said:

Afternoon folks, new kid on the block here.

Last week I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, which is an autoimmune syndrome, it's also known as Siccus Syndrome.

I was going through the VA's lists of medical conditions, and didn't fine the condition.

Anyone have any information on how the VA rates Sjogren's or Siccus Syndrome?

Thanks,

Allan

tennis player venus williams was diagnosed with this about 2 or 3 threes ago. google her and i'm sure you can learn some information.

This is an award for Sjogren's Syndrome from the BVA.:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files5/1441401.txt

The case contains a good nexus the veteran had:

“Regarding the second and third Hickson elements, in-service incurrence and evidence of a medical nexus, the Board acknowledges the Veteran's service treatment records are silent for a diagnosis of or treatment for Sjögren's syndrome.  However, an August 1985 service treatment record indicates the Veteran received care for arthralgia of her left foot, during a period of active duty service.  Additionally, in an April 2008 letter, Dr. J. W., the Veteran's treating rheumatologist, opined that the Veteran's Sjögren's syndrome initially manifested during her period of active service between 1984 and 1987.  In his rationale for the rendered opinion, Dr. J. W. explained that the symptoms in question were migratory symmetrical polyarthralgias, symptoms that are quite typical of early Sjögren's syndrome, and eventually became the swollen joints the Veteran now suffers from.  He further explained that the joints in question, hands and feet, were also typical of Sjögren's syndrome.  He also noted that the Veteran had a positive antinuclear antibody test which showed a slow progression of the initial illness, and had lymphadenopathy, which demonstrated that the Veteran's immune system was beginning to be overactive. 

Additionally, the September 2008 VA examiner opined that the Veteran's symptoms of inflammatory arthritis first manifested in August 1985, and that it was easy to deduce that those symptoms were related to the Veteran's current Sjögren's syndrome.

This BVA case reflects the diagnostic code and rating info for Sjogren’s Syndrome.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files6/1451816.txt

This syndrome can appear initially as polyarthralgia, as well as inflammatory arthritis per the above BVA case.

Allans, you posted a question regarding IU Bennies earlier today.

Before we get into that discussion, how about giving us an SC Timeline? Your last Award that got you to 90%, there was no reference to an "Implied Individual Unemployability Claim?"

Have you reviewed the VA Requirements for an IU Award, just being out of work, unemployed or under-employed, will not get the IU Award.

Has your personal Earned Income, over the past 12 mos been greater than $12,400? How about going back 36 mos in 12 mos increments? Earning in excess of the VA SGI (Substantially Gainful Income) cut-off of $12,400 under 65, $11,400 over 65 will get a Denial.

Do you have a Professional Employment Councilor's opinion that you are precluded from doing all types of employment, including Sedentary Work, due entirely to your VA SC Conditions?

If you meet the Requirements, have the Evidence to back up the Claim, file an FDC right away, don't delay. Attach any and all evidence to your FDC, as Pdfs.

The largest Benefit of the IU Award, would be the approx additional $12+K a year. Everything else is just GRAVY, right.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

To answer your questions...

1. I have been SC since 1990, with my last compensation increase being 2014, which put me at 80%, with one condition at 40%.

2. I have never received anything from the VA stating "Implied IU Claim".

3. I understand some about IU.

4. I have had no EARNED income since 2000.

5. I have never had a "Professional Employment Counselor's" opinion on anything, but then again, I have not had any employment since 2000.

5a. I do draw Social Security Disability at the full rate since 2001.

Also let me add that recent MRI's and bone density tests have shown that the one condition, my leg, which is rated at 40%, has gotten worse.

6. So yes, I have plenty of medical evidence that my compensated conditions have gotten worse.

Thanks,

Allan