VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro pay/retro pay adding dependents

Rate this question

HAZMATDevilDog

Question

I am currently rated at 10% for tinnitus. I filed for SC for an ankle injury, bad knees and hearing loss in April, 2010. I was SC for hearing loss and pain in knees in 2012 at 0%. I filed my NOD within two weeks of the decision and have been waiting on appeal since. I just had had my C&P for ankles, knees, and hearing on April 14th. I was told by the C&P doc to expect a letter from them by June 14th (60 days). I am not holding my breath. I have a torn meniscus, effusion in the knee, and pain. I have been issued a hinged knee brace for each knee as well as hearing aids. So I feel strongly that I should end up with at least 30% combined, hopefully 40%.

My understanding of the retro pay is I should see retro for the difference in what ever combined rating percentage I end up with minus the 10% I already received, going back to the original filing date (4/2010). As I was married in 2009, but can not add my dependents until I am rated 30% or more, will I get retro for the higher amount of spouse and dependents in a second retro payment going back to the original filing date?

I get that it will be the final dollar amount with dependents, minus the single amount at the new percentage - the 10% already paid. If my research is correct I should see a first payment of at least $18,671.44,  granted I get at least 30%.

I got this from: $407.75 (30%) - $133.17(10%) = $274.58 x 68 (months) = $18,671.44

Once my dependents are added there should be second payment of $12,240.00

I got this from: $587.75 (with spouse and 5 kids) - $407.75 = $180 x 68 (months) = $12,240.00

Any information that I am missing would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Thank you for the heads up. I know there is a slight difference in the amounts going back, but its going to be pretty close. I just want to see if the process was correct or if they don't retro adding dependents.