VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea - Appeal or New Claim

Rate this question

John Royal

Question

Greetings everyone! 

Seeking advice on how best to proceed with my Sleep Apnea Claim. I retired in 2011 after 21 1/2 years of Naval service and I am currently SC at 40%. I need advice on whether to appeal my Sleep Apnea Denial (VA letter dated 3/9/12) or to file a new claim, since the 1 year to appeal has come and gone. In July of 2012, I received Progress Notes (VISTA Electronic Medical Documentation) that stated a diagnosis of Sleep Apnea diagnosed while on Active Duty with a plan for Sleep Services Consult. I assume the Progress Notes that I have came from my SMR, which I located where it said I had Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea and it is confirmed from the Sleep Study performed (referred by VA to Civilian Provider) on 1/7/2011. I just had another Sleep Study (referred by VA to Civilian Provider) in April of 2016 and the results are that I have Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea and need a CPAP (which the VA will issue - soon I hope, as I have been dealing the effects of OSA for years now). I used eBenefits to get myself to the 40% level and wanted advice on whether I should submit an Appeal or New Claim using eBenefits or via a DAV/American Legion etc. 

Very Respectfully,

John Royal "JR" (USN Chief Petty Officer, Retired)

I will be visiting the Virginia Department of Veterans Services (DVS) soon to have some of my previous conditions re-evaluated for increase due to many of the posts that I have read here. I spoke to them and they said they have access to some (I hope all) rating decisions, which I am hoping is my actual C-File. If that is the case and we are able to discern that the VA missed the evidence of OSA in my SMR, should I resubmit the evidence under 38CFR 3.156? If so, would the VA then go back to the date I first applied? 

Dependent on the advise of those who have experience, I need guidance on how to proceed based on the following information, as I will be discussing this when I meet with the VA DVS. I had surgery for a Meniscus tear to my right knee while on AD (they also removed Arthritis). The VA SC'd me at 0%, but classified it as Degenerative Joint Disease (claimed as Chronic Aches). What is the best way to address this issue?

JR  

Good evening Brother's and Sister's,

I inquired with the VA on the status of my reopened claim today, as eBenefits says more documentation was needed. I inquired with the VA and they advised that it is back with the VARO in Roanoke Virginia and no other information is needed. I know there is a lag between Ebenefits, the VA and VAROs. I asked the VA Rep if he thought it would be prudent for me to use the eBenefits site to request the VA to make a decision and he said based on his experience that I should. Has anyone used this option in eBenefits before? If so, what was your outcome?

JR

Updated information on eBenefits now reflects Preparation for Decision. Keeping my fingers crossed that the decision will be soon and favorable!

Just logged into eBenefits and my status has changed to Pending Decision Approval with a end date of today. I was thinking of calling the VA to see if they have more updated information, as eBenefits normally lags behind as far as status. Does anyone think this is a good idea?

WOW, this is great News!