VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC

Rate this question

philco

Question

On eBenefits today, my husband read the following:   You have a 100% final degree of disability. This percentage determines the amount of benefit pay you will receive.

The section we're not sure about is the SMC part.  What does the following mean for him?   

Entitled to special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114, subsection (s) and 38 CFR 3.350(i) on account of coronary artery disease and bypass graft surgery times three rated 100 percent and additional service-connected disabilities of erectile dysfunction, bilateral hearing loss, posttraumatic stress disorder, tinnitus, independently ratable at 60 percent or more from 02/05/2016.

Thank you so much.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am thinking they will add up all his disability conditions to see if they meet the SMC Criteria for statutory rating for SMC (special monthly compensation)

if so this is good  your hubby will receive a huffty increase in his compensation, depends on how high they go with his ratings, if he meets the 100% plus another 60%  that is a statutory rating for SMC-S-1 WHICH IS ANOTHER 347,15 monthly:smile:

jmo

......................Buck

Buck, thank you for your response.  According to eBenefits, the decision is final and the packet has been mailed.  His disabilities now read:   coronary artery disease and bypass graft surgery times three 100% Service Connected

Agent Orange - Vietnam

02/04/2016

pulmonary hypertension 

10% Service Connected 02/04/2016

scar(s) status post coronary artery bypass surgery 

0% Service Connected 09/30/2015

bilateral hearing loss 0% Service Connected 09/29/2011

prostatitis Not Service Connected

posttraumatic stress disorder 50% Service Connected

PTSD

PTSD - Combat

12/05/2007

erectile dysfunction 

0% Service Connected 04/11/2013

tinnitus 10% Service Connected 09/29/2011

I guess what we didn't understand was why it showed up under SMC.  He was rated at 60% before and this has astounded us.  Also, it showed a new claim that was submitted (not by us) on 6-9-16 for the following:    7101 - PULMONARY HYPERTENSION ASSOCIATED WITH CORONARYARTERY DISEASE AND BYPASS GRAFT SURGERY (Increase)    Again, this was not submitted by us but was done after the ruling changing his rating from 60% to 100%.

He has been receiving the standard $1259.32 (for vet and spouse) so will this 100% make a considerable difference in his check?  I think we're afraid to be too optimistic.

Edited by philco
Needed to add more

• HadIt.com Elder

yes  it will increase from 1259.32 to3.447.15 or close depends on how many dependents.

this is assuming he has the SMC-S rating

you can go into myhealthyvet and click on disabilities and then click on each one

This will be tripling his income.  and I hope that your hubby is getting his SSDI also?

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as the claim that you mention you guys never filed...sometimes  when you get a smart rater  they automatically apply your S.C. disability's to the SMC Special Rate table Chart to see if you qualify for SMC-S....It's a statutory rating  and if they fail to rate it correctly  then they committed a CUE.

I had a combined 90% extra scheduler rating for TDIU P&T rating for 14 years and Later was diagnosed for PTSD ...I filed a claim for it and was awarded 70% SC for the PTSD.

However I never requested the SMC S-1 H.B....The rater used the SMC Special rate table Chart and I had met the SMC Criteria for the SMC, As it was a statutory rating.

..........Buck

Sorry to hear of his health issues, but congrats on the well deserved 100%. The VA raters are supposed to see if a Vet with high %s qualifies for any SMCs. It looks like your rater is doing thru job as said above. Hopefully it works out and yes you are looking at 2k plus a month. Not a bad increase in pay at all. Good luck and keep us posted. God bless