VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retiring soon - I have a ? about IMO's

Rate this question

RetiringArmy

Question

Hello,

I am retiring from Active Duty within the next 6 months. I have lots of small issues that I have started to document on a piece of paper and some I have visited the doctor for in the past. I don't have many medical visits because I am an Army pilot and I basically hid all my medical issues so I could keep flying.

Question: since Service Connection is not an issue is there any benefit of visiting a Independent Medical Doctor to document my medical conditions prior to filing with the VA?

Doctors such as these: http://www.veteranslaw.com/veteran-independent-medical-examination-IME or http://www.craigbashmd.com/helpful

The list of things wrong with me are the following:

Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (in remission), Ankle pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, back pain, neck pain, Mortan's neuroma (surgery but still hurts), Raynauds

I live in the Midwest (Ohio, Michigan area)

Thanks in advance!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

My option I would get an IME done and not an IMO. If you could get a doc to fill out all the required DBQs, you may not have to go in for a C&P Exam. Then when you file your claim the VA has all the information needed and you are in more control of the process. You should be able to find one in your local area for about $1000 - 1500 using http://www.imenet.com/ . I found a Doc on there that was a C&P examiner and he filled out about 7 DBQs for me complete with nexuses (were needed). He cost about $1000.  

Make sure you get a thorough exam when they offer it for discharge.  Every issue that you want to raise should be documented in the exit physical.  If they ask you to sign off on a half a** physical, refuse to do it.  They have a duty to do the job right, and after 20+ years, they owe it to you.  Once you are out, there are no "do-overs."

That was the reason for the question about IME's. I am assuming that I should complain about any little thing that bothers me right now so that if it gets worse later I have documentation for later....correct?

Thanks again, this site is awesome. I dont understand the process yet but this site is making it easier.