VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need help understanding my C&P exam!

Rate this question

Osccore9

Question

Hello everyone,

I need help with the results of my C&P exam. I had it 2 weeks ago, and received the report yesterday. Can someone help me understand the outcome? Will I be awarder a disability rating? Or will I be denied? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Osccore9

1 hour ago, Navy04 said:

Even though alot of the symptoms are checked off, alot of weight is used in the Occupational and Social Impairment statement. Really just hard to say until  you get the official outcome

That might have been true in the past, but since the advent of the DBQs, the Raters focus on the items checked off on the 'Symptoms' list (Section II, Number 5 of the Initial PTSD DBQ). The reason for this focus is that those symptoms come directly, verbatim, from the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a rating consistent with the summary statement of social and occupational impairment (Section I, Number 4a) when the symptoms endorsed corresponded with a significantly higher rating. 

Plus, Raters now use an automated Evaluation Builder, which uses the items in the Symptoms List to determine the rating. 

I attached a copy of the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders.

Mark

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders.docx

My last 2 PTSD Exams, one for an increase, one for a Review, had dang near all boxes checked, and VA Dr along with Exam Drs listed my PTSD/OCD as Chronic, yet both kept were at the 70% Rate. I just had another Review/Increase/A&A PTSD exams last week, but I can not see those reports as they were thru the VES. Everything thru the VA has Guidelines for this, CFR for that, but really it just goes however the RO and Raters work the claim. We will see, and hopefully the best, and highest rating for this Vet. Hope you all have a  Happy Father's Day!!!

Post a copy of your redacted Award letter.

What we think, really doesn't matter, it's what and why the Rater thinks that counts.

Semper Fi

I had a C&P exam for my PTSD/MST for an increase back in February and I was currently at 30% at that time.  After reading the C&P and going to the "Occupational and Social Impairment" I was sure I was going to be reduced.  But I was awarded 50%!!!

The occupational and social impairment has some weight with the rater but the overall exam is what they are looking at plus any medical records prior to the C&P exam.

Your exam indicates that you will be awarded PTSD with MST.  More importantly, are you in treatment?

I ask, because I too was assaulted and I suffer with an ED and BDD.  I am in therapy weekly!

Navy4life,

I go to my therapy sessions once a week.  I need all the help I can get. 

Edited by Osccore9

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:40 AM, Gastone said:

Post a copy of your redacted Award letter.

What we think, really doesn't matter, it's what and why the Rater thinks that counts.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

Im just asking for opinions. .  

Edited by Osccore9