VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI Pyramyding?

Rate this question

SouthpawVet

Question

I have a question and I would appreciate info from anybody.

I had a vehicle accident stateside (while on duty) about a year and a half before I was deployed. They told me I had a concision but later the VA told me it was a TBI. The VA sent me to a TBI C&P and I was rated at 0%. I also have real bad migraines from the accident. The VA decided I was rated 30% (I think this is a low ball, I told the rater that I have several migraines a month that are deliberating). I also have tinnitus, can't smell or taste all due to the accident, that I haven't been rated for. Well I found out that my local VA has a TBI clinic. Been going to my local VA for other reasons since 2013 and just now found out there is a clinic. So I am going to this clinic next week. The first appointment is supposed to be three hours. I want to see what residual effects I have from my TBI.

My question is- Should I just be happy that I got 30% for migraines and file for the tinnitus, smell and taste? Or should I get re rated for my TBI and have everything rolled up into one rating? I figure if I get re rated for my TBI the VA will just low ball me on it and take away any other claim associated with it.

I forgot to mention that I also have Photo-phobia and am not rated for it also.

Edited by SouthpawVet

I have the same story except rated 0 for headaches but 70 for my tbi with sleeping difficulties. Also 30 for scars and 30 light headiness and dizziness. But my ptsd was from my deployment but grouped it with my TBI. My overall is 90% Now the battle with my employer for reasonable accomadation cant work night shift.

Edited by jfrei

• HadIt.com Elder

Just do not accept the VA's judgement about your impairment on a C&P exam unless it really reflects it correctly.  You should have your own private neurologist for the TBI so he/she can give an opinion besides just VA opinion.  They is a world of difference between the VAMC and the VBA.    The medical side of the VA is usually concerned with treating you as cheaply as possible and the VBA side is concerned with paying you as little as possible.  I have been P&T for 15 years and I used IMO/IME for 75% of my claims.  If I did not have a team of outside doctors working for me I would be sitting at 30% to this day.  You simply cannot trust the VA about anything.  Their goal it seems to me is to just save money at your expense.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:33 PM, jfrei said:

I have the same story except rated 0 for headaches but 70 for my tbi with sleeping difficulties. Also 30 for scars and 30 light headiness and dizziness. But my ptsd was from my deployment but grouped it with my TBI. My overall is 90% Now the battle with my employer for reasonable accomadation cant work night shift.

Lost this battle and was forced to resign