VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question RE: VA DIC montly comp for Surviving Spouse

Rate this question

carol1947

Question

I don’t see how a coroner could diagnose Pancreatic cancer without an autopsy, unless the coroner called his private doctor.

And yet there are other ways that diagnosis could have been made by the coroner

but it would have been things you yourself had noticed that would have prompted you to make sure he got medical care.

It must have been Stage 4 when he died. 

You will need that private  doctor’s medical records for your claim , as well as all other medical records.

This will be a difficult claim unless he showed inservice  symptoms of pancreatic cancer, but those symptoms would have to have been noted 18 years ago, in his SMRs.

Maybe his SMRs will reveal a nexus for the contributing conditions, if not for the pancreatic cancer. The basis of the claim would have to be amended but it will take time to get his SMRs and discharge certificate and all of his medical records.

The NARA web site  can help with the SF 180 on line for obtaining all of his inservice records.

The other records will have to be obtained from any health care provider.

It looks to me that regardless of what the SMRs reveal, you will need a strong  independent medical opinion for this type of claim because you need to establish a strong inservice nexus to the prime or contributing causes of his death.

Back problems ,you mentioned he had in service, could be one symptom of this type of cancer but there are usually far more reasons for it to develop.It can also have a genetic basis.

I would think when he had the stroke, that they would have picked up on this condition, You will need those records as well.

I dont understand why it is only one pension check.

But a SSA   survivors benefit, (often changing to a higher rate usually one month after a spouse dies ),might be higher than the pension criteria income amount on the VA web site page,which was your income the first month during or after your husband died.

I only make roughly $15,648 annually, or about $1,304 monthly after the Medicare premiums are deducted "

This does not sound like SSI, it sounds like SSDI survivors benefits.

I dont think SSI recipients are eligible for Medicare.I think you get SSA survivors's benefits.

You are correct that the VA might well have the SMRs by now.

They probably will ask for the other medical records post service or send you an authorization form so they can get them.

Edited by Berta

I wasted a lot of time yesterday, not only googling pancreatic cancer, it’s risks and causes, etc etc,  but even talking to someone I know well  who is being monitored for it.

I then spent time at the BVA web site where similar claims were denied on one of the reasons I feel that the VA will deny this DIC claim. But this AM I even found a few links that might have been helpful to this widow 

Nothing is impossible. Also the widow mentioned two other NSC contributing factors on the death certificate that might have a DIC basis, but only the SMRs can reveal that, along with a strong IMO.

I even could gather from the deleted info that this veteran might have had diabetes. That is only my opinion based on my husband’s autopsy , plus I studied Endocrinology and my personal VA claims.I don’t know if the veteran did have diabetes, which in some rare cases, can definitely lead to pancreatic cancer.

Still there was not enough info here and the widow ,yesterday, edited all of her posts and nothing remains.

That’s OK. Some of the info did not make sense to me anyhow.

Everything a survivor needs to know about DIC is here.

Only two things have changed in decades…..there is no longer any “hypothetical entitlement” and Nehmer regs are a little different as well.

If any of you have Life insurance, tell the spouse to save some of it when you die, as they might well need a costly IMO, and even with that, not all DIC claims can succeed.

I questioned something early  yesterday the widow stated , as to the death certificate and maybe that is why she removed her posts.

It would probably be the same question the VA would have as well.

DIC is not a game, it can become a major battle.

I know someone else here will help her if she returns.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta  please don't feel bad  maybe this widow got all the information she needed from you and decided to just delete all her post.

what ever her reason I am sure your information to her was what she needed to read.

I assure you all your well informed information is priceless to all us veterans.

Thank you for all you do for us and our spouses.

..............Buck