VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Psychologist assessed me with "Panic with agoraphobia"

Rate this question

AirForce99

Question

MODS: I ACCIDENTALLY POSTED THIS IN "SUCCESS STORIES", CAN YOU MOVE TO CORRECT LOCATION?", THANKS!

I had an initial mental exam with a VA provided Psychologist last week. The notes from the MyHealtheVet Blue Button are below. He recommended 12 week exposure therapy and sent me to some other doctors downtown. His "Assessment" was "Panic with agoraphobia" but didn't neccessarily tie to my constant lower back pain back pain to it but kind of did at the same time. Just no formal diagnosis. I know this is due to my back which I am already SC'd for because I'm in constant daily pain and after we talked about it, I realized that's when I went downhill and started having all of these issues was after I was in bed for a week and couldn't move because I threw my back out. 

Questions: 

1. Do I just go through the 12 week therapy and wait for a diagnosis tying the "Panic with agoraphobia" secondary to my service connected lower back pain?
2. His assessment is "Panic with agoraphobia", but I suppose you have to wait for the new doctors to make official diagnosis before filing a claim?

VA NOTES
----------------------------------------------------------

CHIEF COMPLAINT: Continued isolation 

Vet states he basically spends all of his time in his room between his computer and his bed. Reports this has gotten worse over the years. States he's had panic attacks when on planes. Avoids going just about anywhere. He is vigilant. He has anxiety in a wide variety of situations. He appears to meet criteria for Panic with Agoraphobia. Not sure why or how he got this way. Saw dead bodies in intelligence reports while in service. 

Also, had high pressure security job that dependence on exact attention to detail. Finally, had an instance in which he throughout his back for a week. He couldn't move or engage in self-care for many days. There is at some residual fear that if he goes out, somethings similar will happen again. He knows it's illogical. He's puzzled by it and feels there is something wrong. I provided psychoeducation about anxiety, how it generalizes, how we avoid it, and how avoidance becomes stronger and reinforced. He felt he met agoraphobia diagnostic criteria when I read it to him. Importantly, he's highly motivated to change it. I offered research treatment as a means to address the above. Informed vet they will be motivated to get him scheduled and started. Stated that regularly treatment will contribute to exposure that can help him overcome avoidance behavior. 

MENTAL STATUS EXAM: 

Appearance, Grooming, and Hygiene: Appropriate grooming 

Behavior: Friendly cooperative 

Psychomotor Activity: Normal 

Speech: Normal

Mood: Blah 

Thought Content (including SI/HI): Denied SI/HI 

Hallucinations and/or Delusions: None 

Thought Processes: Linear, logical Memory and Orientation: Intact 

Judgment: Fair 

Insight: Fair 

Assessment: Panic with agoraphobia 

Plan: Research treatment with REMOVED NAME

Edited by AirForce99

3 answers to this question

"Panic with Agoraphobia" is not a claim,  it is a symptom.  If you have not already sought benefits for mental disorders, this would be a good time.  Waiting will cost you retro.  

If it were me, I would apply for benefits for a "mental health disorder" (PTSD, depression, etc) both PRIMARY and secondary to back pain.  Limiting your application to a specific disorder, or even to secondary only, is less likely to get a more favorable result for you.  Example:

YOu apply for PTSD.  The VA denies and says you have no stressor.  However, the doc says you have depression secondary to your SC pain.  Dont blow up any bridges until after you cross them.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Air Force 99

I moved your post to 

''PTSD CLAIMS''

Will get more reads there!:wink:

..............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

AirForce99

You need to go to your VA Mental Health Dept  request a PTSD Assessment  if incase  you hadn't did that yet?

You need a DSM 5 PTSD  Diagnoses from them.

and request treatment and also start seeing a VA MH Therapist .

They can treat you for your problems  and also you can use MyhealthVet /copy Notes for part of your evidence for your claim.

JMO

................Buck