VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got back my NEUROPSYCHOLOGY REPORT.... what does it mean?

Rate this question

ozboi

Question

Short history on me.... 50% SC PTSD, 10% Tinutis.... 3x OIF Veteran, IED blast exposure on 3rd tour......

I took an a test that lasted about all damn day last month..... finally checked myhealthevet and got the results back from the Blue Button from the VA PHD NEUROPSYCHOLOGIST.... can someone please tell me what all this crap means? It sounds BAD to me!!!!!

VALIDITY:

Test results were below cutoff scores on measures of effort and motivation.  He 
had 1 score less than 5% for validity battery, and the TBI group had 9% with 
this pattern. An additional measure of validity was below 15% cut off again 
consistent with 9% of the TBI group.  Embedded scores of validity on 2 cognitive 

functioning tests indicated likely invalid scores.  The pattern of scores on 
memory and attention tests were not associated with mild TBI or PTSD. 
Therefore, the scores from the battery of tests was considered to have below 
standard validity and reliability, and they will not be reported.

EMOTIONAL FUNCTIONING:

Patient was administered two tests of psychological functioning with results of 
clinical symptoms of depression and anxiety.  These can be followed up by his 
menta
l health providers.

FUNCTIONAL MEASURES:

Regarding behaviors associated with executive functioning, the patient reported 
problems with organization and problem-solving and self-regulation of emotions. 
Time management, self-restraint, and motivation scales were within the normal 
range.  Regarding functional skills, the patient reported impairment within the 
clinical range regarding functioning at home with family, work, interactions 
with strangers and friends, driving, daily responsibilities, and health 
maintenance.  He reported normal functioning with regard to completing chores at 

home, his marital relationship, money management, sexual relations, self-care 
routines, and childrearing.

DIAGNOSTIC IMPRESSIONS:

No diagnosis: results inconclusive
PTSD symptoms by history and reported psychological distress

SUMMARY & CONCLUSIONS:

Performance was notable for evidence of psychological distress in context of 
complaints of severe cognitive problems and psychological problems, and 
inconsistent report of daily living functional skills.

Given medical record and current complaints, it is likely the patient continues 
to experience symptoms of depression and anxiety that may interfere with 
cognitive functioning, especially attention and concentration processes which 
then reduce functional memory skills.  Self-report of depression and anxiety 
symptoms were associated with clinical mood disorders.  Due to the below 
standard validity of test performances and the concern about inconsistencies in 
observed and reported functioning on the mental status exam versus the patient's 

complaints, no diagnosis can be confirmed in these results.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1.      Continue mental health treatment with regular follow-up concerning 
multiple reported symptoms of depression, anxiety, and PTSD and behavior 
evidencing poor coping skills.  It is recommended the patient enroll in the 
evidence based treatment program for PTSD.
2.      Medication management should consider limited response to current 
regimen for all symptoms including PTSD, depression, and headache pain.
3.      Sleep disorder exam to determine if additional treatment is needed for 
insomnia and reported restless sleep with nightmares.
4.      TBI team follow-up to monitor treatment progress and coordinate care. 
5.      Speech therapy treatment to address the patient's cognitive complaints 
directly and provide techniques to improve his attention and short-term memory 
functioning.

What is the NEUROPSYCHOLOGIST saying here?

Is the PHD NEUROPSYCHOLOGIST trying to blaime all on my PTSD???!!!!! 

Ok, so, while I was at my VAMC, yesterday, for various appts and such, I took time to go to the MH dept. and had them call the dr who signed off on my neuro psych eval, about the left out Loss of Consciousness report. Said yep, come on up. Went up, told her that I had given a copy of the SMR report to her "underling" and did she get it, since her report said LOC was not reported.  She paged through my file and there it was.  She was instantly apologetic and said she will add an addendum to report that day and correct that.  Whew! So glad that she was able to give me the 5 minutes of her time yesterday.  Also recommended I call her "underling"(a good guy, really) to schedule an apt to review the eval results.  So...2 birds with one stone yesterday!

Good job Andyman! You've got to throttle them or they may walk over you. I need to start verifying all of my med records too. I've seen a couple of things here and there, but nothing worth diverting my attention yet like you found. Look at the minutes difference of the LOC as well.

I've been trying to see a Psychologist for 1.5 years now, so I'm happy to finally see one next week. I'll have to find out the scoop on whoever it is so I can make a switch if needed and possible. They will be pretty important and the last big piece of my puzzle.

Thanks, Armorer, my first "good job" for this month.  :happy:  The Dr was surprised that she made that error, and was very appreciative that I caught it so soon after it was made.  And that I pointed it out to her in a rather mild easygoing manner.  Then she said to call her guy for apt to go over test results, to which I just secure messaged him a few minutes ago.  But I do wonder, what if any, value does it bring to my claim??? 

I feel so much like the "that guy" in the movies who has the winning ticket or what ever, and has "the girl" waiting in the wings, but don't have the slightest clue about either one. And then ends up being a day late and a dollar short anyway. Let me tell you, I have to take off one shoe/sock to count past my hands/fingers how many times this has actually happened to me. But that's a can of worms to save in "Warehouse 13" not to be disturbed for 100 years.

That's the game the VA plays, so play it. Look up on the ratings (or any VA neural information) and see if they have any information on time of unconscious. It may be old, but most of these doc's just go by what they learned and never change.

Explosive exposure is what kills your neuron cells in your control center nerves behind your ears in the brain, so those are forever and should never be forgotten! Just look at disabled Vet suicide percentages to see possible explosion exposure of all the services: Army (over half of ALL services), Marines (number 2 with smaller sample size), ... Statistically, we got screwed dude!

On 7/15/2016 at 1:06 PM, Andyman73 said:

Sadly yes, we did

But at 80% rating, that's killer! You must have a hell of a job, and a family too. I'm just freakin' pitiful  :(

I spent all day writing 3 or 4 letters to my Chapter 31 VRE counselor copied to his VRE Director and the VRE counselor in charge of housing stipends for Chapter 31: so I can start an on-line MA in Psychology to keep a roof over my head. They are telling me all kinds of sob stories. Both the VRE Director and housing stipend counselor are great men and I owe the Director especially. I'm just going to owe them both a little more to get some marketable training  :)  Thanks to all the Chapter 31 forums on the net, I'll find out Monday!

I didn't mean to get you down. I just thought I'd give you some ammo to bitch for your tbi counselor sessions when they start talking about concussion (bruised brain) bs to distract you, change the subject to correlate blast shock injuries (dead neurons in mid-brain and cerebellum) to the suicide rates to wake their ass up and stop their b.s. psychological games. ( I need to carry that around in my wallet to remember it when it's needed.)

Now I got it! BS = Blast Shock injury.

Peace.  :-)

Edited by armorer