VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Crisis line

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hello Everybody, First of all, I want to apologize if I posted this topic in the wrong place. Just  was not sure where to go with it. Has anybody used the VA crisis line before? Do they take VA notes of the call and put it into your VA medical records? I guess that does not really matter I am just curious. I am often attempted to call the hot-line when I am full of anxiety and depression(like all the time) but I feel embarrass to call a complete stranger and sob to them of my problems. If anybody has some input in using this service I would like to know. Thanks Bill

5 answers to this question

I have used the crisis line, and recommend it. After all, for the most part you cant just "go to VA" and get counseling, without an appointment far in advance.  At my VA, you can get "walk in" VA mental health appointments, but those are largely limited to refill prescriptions.  

Its a "hole" in the VA system that is partially filled by the crisis line.  

In the private sector, there is also not always a "on demand counselor", like their should be, for people in crisis.  

Making an on demand counselor available in every big city would likely stop a bunch of these shootings.  Making mental health services more available as needed, would do better at curbing shootings than trying to take away guns from private citizens who need them to defend themselves when someone does go crazy.  

Did you ever notice there are more  people shot dead  in places where guns are not allowed, such as schools, movie theaters, and night clubs, than there are at places where they are allowed like shooting ranges?

I wonder why the crazies dont target "shooting ranges" to find victims, and instead go to schools, clubs, resteraunts and movie theaters?   Maybe its because they know people will shoot back at target ranges.  

If there ever were a crazy who targeted "shooting ranges" looking for murder victims, he probably would not be able to shoot more than a couple before the armed citizens shoot back.    He would not be able to shoot mostly innocent children and unarmed teachers, as mostly everyone is armed in a shooting range.  

Edited by broncovet

I used it last May. Notes of the call go in your record, and can be seen on the Blue Button download via Myhealthevet.

15 hours ago, wablackwell said:

Hello Everybody, First of all, I want to apologize if I posted this topic in the wrong place. Just  was not sure where to go with it. Has anybody used the VA crisis line before? Do they take VA notes of the call and put it into your VA medical records? I guess that does not really matter I am just curious. I am often attempted to call the hot-line when I am full of anxiety and depression(like all the time) but I feel embarrass to call a complete stranger and sob to them of my problems. If anybody has some input in using this service I would like to know. Thanks Bill

They do. They enter notes and it goes to your psych Dr,  you could also stay unanimous. You have to give them your info. The C line has helped a lot. I only had one bad experience. 

wablackwell,

Even if you struggle on a weekly basis, or less frequently, call that number if you feel that you are at or nearly over the tipping point.