VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea and High Hemoglobin (HGB)

Rate this question

gs106

Question

I just checked eBenefits and I've been awarded 50% for sleep apnea on appeal (DRO review).  Everything else on appeal was denied except deviated septum 0% but the 50% got me to 100% P&T.  I got the sleep apnea service connected with a nexus letter from my non VA doctor stating that it was more likely than not that I have had sleep apnea as long as my HGB has been elevated.

History - my HGB had been high for at least five years before I retired.  It was always high when I went to VA for the routine exam and the NP always said "don't worry about it".  I was taking the VA lab results to my non VA doctor and she kept telling me that we need to find out what the problem is.  She sent me to a cancer clinic and everything was OK.  She then had me wear an oxygen monitor overnight.  It showed that my oxygen level was dropping into the low 80s.  I didn't want to, but she insisted that I go for a sleep study and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (5 years after I retired).  I went to get a CPAP from a civilian company but I couldn't wear the mask because of a skin cancer on my cheek.  I had surgery for the skin cancer and during the healing I went back to VA for a routine exam.  The NP told me that I could get a CPAP through VA even though the sleep study was done outside VA.  VA issued the CPAP and my HGB has been normal since I started using it.  I also had a statement from my son about my loud snoring and stopping breathing.  I hope this information helps someone.

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Whats  hard for a lot of us veterans with VA dx sleep apnea & using a VA C-pap  is getting  the S.A. service connected , if we don't have medical evidence  while in the military or any type of sleep disturbance on record    VA makes it difficult for us to get it S.C. & Rated.

it's hard to get a Qualified  Dr to nexus our S.A. To prior military service   even when we have evidence that we snored.

I have 70% PTSD And take meds  that in my opinion caused me to get S.A. or  be aggravated by it for a secondary claim of S.A.  but   its almost impossible to get it S.C. .... Most of us get the denial every freaking time.

gs106,

What Buck said!  Most of us are like salmon trying to get up that SA SC waterfall, falling back time and time again, hoping that the grizzlies don't get us before we make it up and over.

Andy

Even when you have the medical evidence to relate the apnea to service or secondary to another service connected illness the VA plays ignorant.  Just keep at it. Evidence is what counts. Do not give up or stray.  If you have the evidence and nexus then go after the claim.