VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD DBQ opinion

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hello HADIT Community, I have an Intent to file in for a while now and I am finally got all the evidence I have been waiting for. I would like your opinion on the following DBQ. My concerns are that the I had I GAF score of 53 and that this was filled out by a psychologist and not a psychiatrist. My psychiatrist did not want to fill out any VA forms but he did write me a letter stated in his opinion that I was unemployable and the reasons he thought that.

DBQPG1.PNGDBQPG2.PNGDBQPG3.PNGDBQPG4.PNGDBQPG5.PNGDBQPG6.PNG

For claims for PTSD filed after July 13, 2010, the VA will NOT accept a PTSD diagnosis from a non VA shrink.

When the claim is filed, it will be up to a VA mental health professional to make a PTSD diagnosis at a C & P exam.

If they make the PTSD DX (VA does not use GAF anymore as someone stated above)

the only other criteria you need is a nexus to your service .

If you do not fall into the 'Fear of' and/or 'close proximity' to hostile fire as explained within the 2010 PTSD Regulations,

and or do not have the PH, CAR, or CIB on your DD 214, you will have to prove your stressor.

Buck had ALL of his ducks in a row and gave great advice here.

I assume you have your inservice SMRs and Personnel files because the private shrink had them.

They might reveal a nexus statement ...if not now is the time to obtain any buddy statements if needed.

To add...I see you had 7 deployments but I did not see any specific nexus statement to your stressor in the DBQ.

Maybe I missed it but VA will not accept this diagnosis anyhow.

The stressor (s) must be as specific as possible, consistent with your MOS, and with a date as close to you can get so that if JSRRC has to attempt to verify the stressor they will be able to narrow it down.

If a veteran does not fall into the 2010 criteria ,then VA will attempt to verify their stressor via Joint Services Records research Center (JSRRC)

We have considerable info here on stressors and how to prove them.

And what Buddy statements need to cover.

Many vets have multiple stressors.You only need one verification of a stressor so best to give the one most easily verified.

edited to add...

the stressor boxes were checked off on the DBQ but nothing was specifically identified as a stressor from what I could see.You will need to expand on the stressor for the claim.

Edited by Berta

One question--- ( I do not doubt you have PTSD , I just want your claim to be as solid as Buck's was)

You stated:

" I admitted to behavioral health hospital and the VA inpatient PTSD program."

If you mean the 21 day Inhouse program specifically for PTSD, did someone there apply for Temporary 100% comp for you?

Did the VA diagnose you with PTSD in those inhouse records?

As I recall my husband's PTSD inhouse records were not with his regular VA medical records.

Neither were a battery of Psychologial tests he got when his VA psychologist was changed to a VA Psychiatrist.

Someone at the Hospital (this was Buffalo VAMC) filed Temp Comp claims for all of the vets in the same inhouse  program with him.They all had PTSD diagnosis already but one didnt and my husband had 30% PTSD SC at that time.

It took a few weeks or more  but they awarded all but one vet  the 100% Temp Comp, less any estabished SC for the 21 day stint.

My point is that VA might have diagnosed your PTSD during these hospital stays.Did you get any one month  temp comp check for the PTSD program?

Also, before 2003 or 2004 all Mental Health was actually considered Behavioral Health. If you write to you NPRC(mine is St Louis), and you ask for medical records they may not show up, try for Behavioral Health Records. 

Good Luck

That is Good advice!

I mentioned this before but when my husband died one of his pending claims was for a higher PTSD rating.

SSDI had awarded him solely for PTSD, and we sent them that information and the 21-22  authorization form for one of his pending claims.

Yet all of the psychiatric test results, hypnosis treatments , anger therapy etc etc from his new PTSD doctor never got to the VARO  although his shrink said he sent it all to them.He gave me copies of the records and again sent them to VA itself, mentioning I had shown him the veteran's PTSD award from SSDI as well (they ignored the SSDI award until they got his letter, lying to my Senator and Congressman that SSA had refused to honor the records request.It was a LIE. They could have gotten the SSA records in his lifetime, I called SSA in Baltimore only to learn they never had any request at all fom Buffalo RO.)and within a very short time frame, they awarded 100% P & T for PTSD--- posthumously---almost three years after his death.

My point is read the Evidence list and do as Inarticulate and distorted said....if something is missing from your medical records make sure you get what is missing.( or maybe  not 'missing' but being deliberately ignored by the RO)

Thank you, Everyone for the great advice. So I will probably have to go through the VA DBQ when they schedule my C&P exam. Berta,  I was not able to file for the temporary 100% Comp. I have never filed for PTSD before so I was not service connected for PTSD even though I have been DX by the VA with having PTSD. I think I will be fine going through the VA, I am trying to do a FDC and though that I might need DBQ for that. Thanks, Bill