VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Finally Arrived Today!

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my C-File in Today  and its a CD...Now I can look at what I need to know, this makes it sooooo much easier than going through thousand & thousands of paper  sheets  trying to find things, Now if I can find what I need??... (hopefully)

13 months it took  so guess thats not to bad.

............................Buck

Eeeh, i want paper, you always wanna be sure "Friday Filing" hasn't affected your CFile. JMO.

The CD works great especially if you have a long medical record.  Mine is a couple thousand pages.  Its easier to search.  I got my last cfile on CDROM, too.

Reccomended:  Make yourself an "index".  It will take some time but save you time later.  My cfile was "NOT" in date order, or in any other logical progression.  Here is a little sample of what I call the "RBA (or cfile) index". 

RBA INdex:

RBA pages 1-56  BVA decision 2012.  

Page 57.  VARO decision date...

(Its your index, so you can put things like, "denied IU", or something to help you remember what this decision was about).  

P. 96.  VAMC health records, 1 June 04- May 08

P. 128 C and P exam for tdiu   etc, etc.

You can use "color codes" for your index, if you like.  

For example, I put C and P exams in green.

RO denials in Red.

(Green means money).  

• HadIt.com Elder

Great Ideal broncovet, I sure do this.  make it a lot eazier to look for things.

I have not put it in my computer  just yet, but will work on it tonight.

AS for as having in Paper I guess its just a prefered preference , I like mine in CD-ROM a lot better , After I get it ''organized ... all you need to do is just print out what you need, and not have papers sheets string out all over the living room floor  for the pets to play with and mess up eh!

I'll make a back-up disk also.

Thanks broncovet.

Better yet, put it in an excel spread sheet so you can copy and paste. I've got about 20 fields per record, but most are cut and copy grouped together, but all the fields are nice to have. My first time with a baby 470 page one took about a week and a half getting used to it and all. But now, I have a learning curve, and can cut and copy locations, addresses, phone numbers, quicker now. A good bit of records are fluff bs, but sometimes, there will be a lot of condensed records together so the excel ss helps you keep tabs of things without falling asleep.

I can find anything, and have mine also printed out with every other page numbered. It really helps using the relational database design (based on page number, but it would take about 4 or 5 fields, with versions, to make a real record identifier for the VA, if they were smart, lol.

I'm going to do the same thing for my MyHeatheVet records. And then you can group them according to your claims at the bottom because claims is a field in your db records. If you have Win 7 Pro OS, get Office 2010 business for the best bang for buck if you can find it on ebay/amazon (it's not easy for a good price.) imo.

• HadIt.com Elder

BRONCOVET

Instead of making an INDEX/RBA   

I made the C-FILE CD  Search-Able  to OCR (Optical Character Recognition) 

It's easier for me   when trying to find something in my C-FILE.

Vets:

Thanks for all of the recommendations as I'm excited because I was notified that my C-File is on the way also.. There is also a company Tableau in Seattle, WA that has a special software like excel spreadsheet but it's like excel on steroids. I'm going to see what I can do with that. Buck52, I thought that the Cds came searchable...if not how did you set yours up to be OCR?

Rootbeer22