VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI question

Rate this question

fmfdoc

Question

Hi everyone,

Question... I currently have SA secondary to PTSD and depression. I have been knocked out several times on active duty( parachute falls, combat) but have never been dx'ed with TBI. I do suffer from the memory loss and other symptoms that I've read about with TBI but again have never been dx'ed for that. I had several headache treatments during AD...

What route would you recommend to get the TBI claim going? I have a PCP appointment next month at the VA and want to present possible TBI issues. In many ways, I sucked it up after I passed out and didn't run to the Military doc.

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
49 minutes ago, fmfdoc said:

Hi everyone,

Question... I currently have SA secondary to PTSD and depression. I have been knocked out several times on active duty( parachute falls, combat) but have never been dx'ed with TBI. I do suffer from the memory loss and other symptoms that I've read about with TBI but again have never been dx'ed for that. I had several headache treatments during AD...

What route would you recommend to get the TBI claim going? I have a PCP appointment next month at the VA and want to present possible TBI issues. In many ways, I sucked it up after I passed out and didn't run to the Military doc.

I am not too knowledgeable about TBI personally, but have been researching the same topic because my father is in a similar boat as you.

You probably already know about the big three:
1. Event/injury in service
2. Current diagnosis
3. Medical nexus connecting 1 and 2

Start with the paper trail
- Get copies of all medical records (in-service and after-service)
- Read them carefully
- Look for anything with syncope, loss of consciousness, head injury, motor vehicle accidents, memory loss, etc... which might point to the root cause
- Get copies of any prescription medications used to treat your head

Work toward the medical nexus.
- If you don't want to risk it with a regular C&P exam, get a copy of the DBQ and get your own doc to  fill it out. Also, ensure they state that they have reviewed pertinent medical records (including dates/diagnosis/treatment) and provide a nexus of "as least as likely as not" or better.
- Don't go in expecting your VA doc to write the nexus. Some are good about it, but most tend to defer to the C&P docs. The VA doc might fill out the DBQ. Keep in mind the VA doc might refer you to a neurologist for further evaluation.

Consider collecting other evidence to bolster your claim
- Buddy letters from family, friends, or fellow servicements
- Photos of you laid up in a hospital bed and/or with a cast on

Additionally
- Keep a migraine diary (when, where, how treated, etc...)
- Familiarize yourself with the TBI DBQ and the TBI C&P exam worksheets

Filing the claim
- The VA seems to have about a dozen ways to file claims nowadays. If you are still gathering evidence, you can file an informal claim. I believe you have a year to collect and submit evidence, but this at least could preserve your effective date. It's better to do it right initially than having to file an appeal...

I hope this helps. Good luck!

fmfdoc:

When I submitted my first disability claim it was processed and although I did not claim TBI at first, the rater put it in her comments that I should have  been screened and tested  due to a tank explosion that I was involved with early in  my career. I was not wearing a helmet or hearing protection due to the circumstances and frankly was never the same since the explosion? It blew out both ear-drums and I was knocked out for about 30 minutes.  Even as a young man, I've had significant memory, cognitive, and concentration problems  as well as being left with a lifetime of headaches and they have only grown worse over the years.  That said, after all of the tests, I was only rated at a 10% for TBI and I think it was that because I have a job and still work. Unfortunately, this TBI really hinders my ability to work but they did not seem to consider that and I'm appealing in on a Notice of Disagreement. (NOD).  Ultimately, I saw a hand full of doctors, physiatrists and psychologists and had an extensive set if exams so get prepared and read as much as you can about this area in the hadit.com forums. The other issue is that it's rated like PTSD so they are linked together the way the ratings are set-up. From what I have seen, it is that it's important to try and explain what happened during the explosion hit you and when the blast wave hit your body, otherwise most civilian doctors don't have a clue and then try to low ball you. From me, it's very frustrating because it's very tough for me to focus which affects my ability to work... Frankly, for me it was cut in dried because of the explosion but you will have an uphill battle of proving it if you don't have anything in you file. I would suggest that you get as many buddy statements as possible with soldiers that were there when some of this occurred....or it's going to be really hard but not impossible to get any rating on this. If you have scars on your head, that will help as well..

Mainly read the forums about TBI and PTSD to see what others have gone thru as they have applied for TBI and especially their struggles..

Goodluck  Rootbeer22