VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Submit VA Form 21-0781 PTSD for Anxiety????

Rate this question

MikeHunt

Question

Situation is, a private clinician wrote a statement connecting my service with anxiety disorder, not otherwise specified that DID include 'Traits' of PTSD and depression in that diagnosis.

eBenefits listed the aforementioned form as needed, eventhough I'm not claiming PTSD. Full tile: STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM FOR SERVICE CONNECTION FOR POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (PTSD)

I'm concerned as to why a PTSD form is required, and what's going to happen if I DO fill it out, and what if I DON'T- Context is, I'm deeply suspicious of the VA's development machine, and believe me, I have every right to be- Please don't ask.

The logic behind the clinician's connection was mostly on situations, not isolated events the form is asking for- Like "Servicemember Death", If that makes sense.

I don't want to go off topic, but they never actually sent a physical letter to me- two weeks later now, in other words, the only info I received was from eBenefits.

Thanks- I'm just not seeing justification for this form in references I can find in their M21-1 manual

Thanks again-

the link provides a  definition for stressor- And required response

“the person experienced,witnessed,or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury,or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others, and the person’s response involved intense fear,helplessness, or horror.”

This is from a PowerPoint claiming to be new (DSM V) stressor criteria;
DSM-5: PTSD Criterion A
A.The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, as follows:
1. Direct exposure
2. Witnessing, in person
3. Indirectly, by learning that a close relative or close friend was exposed to trauma. If the event involved actual or threatened death, it must have been violent or accidental.
4. Repeated or extreme indirect exposure to aversive details of the event(s), usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, collecting body parts;professionals repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse).
This does not include indirect non- professional exposure through electronic media, television, movies or pictures.

https://www.istss.org/ISTSS_Main/media/Webinar_Recordings/RECFREE01/slides.pdf

ebenefits has the three developments as 'not Needed' and decision pending- Due date today thru Friday.

assuming they wouldn't 'Not needed' if they were going to deny?

They didn't ask for a C&P- I guess the private clinician's DBQ id going to be used to rate percentage?

I see this differently. The private physician saw markers for PTSD.

"Situation is, a private clinician wrote a statement connecting my service with anxiety disorder, not otherwise specified that DID include 'Traits' of PTSD and depression in that diagnosis. "

This is not a nexus statement and that is why they wanted a full detailed statement:

As I mentioned before here

"They want details on the form because this makes it easier for JSRRC to verify the stressor event."

But the diagnosis of PTSD must come from a VA MH provider and that is done at a C & P exam.

At least the decision seems to be imminent and they will give you the reasons for whatever they decide.

To me this does not sound like an award is coming but I am  basing that on what you have posted here. 

You stated: "I'm just not seeing justification for this form in references I can find in their M21-1 manual"

The justification is found in M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 1, Section D.

Well, so much for an award!!

eBenefits put 'not needed' on three items, as I'd written before, and status was 'pending review.'

Now: Initial Review Complete

and asking for references to my claim for "PTSD".

There's no claim for PTSD pending- The claim is listed clearly, but we've already been over that.

The three items they want are:

1) An unnamed questionnaire, asking for dates of stressful events be w/i 60 days

2) reports of Tx by private physicians, if any

3) VA Tx notes

#1 sure sounds like the forms named in title of the thread- The very ones I filled out and turned in- What do you guys think? Some other form it could be?

As Berta noted, its really the information they want that is contained on the form, that happens to have "PTSD" in the title.

There isn't a "Statement in Support of Claim for Stressors, but not PTSD stressors" form yet :)

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike

I guess I don't understand your post?  what is it that your asking?

Is it you don't want to have a PTSD Diagnoses? 

With PTSD Claims you will need to verify your  in service stressor's  this is the reason you have PTSD.

Do you want a MH claim? or to have your MH Claim not to have you listed with PTSD? 

They are other means of MH not to be consider PTSD like MMD or Depression, Unspecific Disorder's  ect,,ect,,,

''On statement  in support of claim''   this is where you can write down your stressor's use extra sheets of paper if needed attach it to the form  tell your story of the event time and place.

you don't need to answer  each and every question on the form  just leave it blank or just put''does not apply''

Use buddy statements they will help verify these events  or  records of morning reports, Duty reports MOS Any type of Gov document that puts you in the time a place of the claimed event.

PTSD is nothing to be Ashamed of  it happens to millions of soldiers, and you should be compensated for your service & sacrifice to your country.

Edited by Buck52