VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Other Specified Trauma Related Disorder ICD Code 43.8

Rate this question

Mercury-Vapor

Question

I am a 65 yr old Navy Veteran 20% service connected for (non combat) injuries I received while stationed with the 115th Coastal Task Force in Vietnam 1971. I know what happened to me but have no memory of the event. I was unconscious after the accident and woke up choking on my own blood in a helicopter from the 24th evac unit out of Long Bihn. Concussion, broken jaw and fractured ribs. I was sent CONUS a few days later. I was in Bethesda for several months after returning from overseas and spent the balance of my enlistment working transportation and security for CNO Washington DC. I began having anxiety and depressive mood in late 1971 and that continued throughout my entire life. I've been treated with anti-depressants and tranquilizers for over 40 years. I have also been suicidal for that many years attempting twice. Panic attacks have put me in the emergency room many times over those years. After talking to a VSO, he suggested I file for PTSD as he said I had all the symptoms. I had an initial examination and the first  Dr. (VES examiner) Found I had an unspecified Neurocognitive Disorder and Memory Loss but not PTSD. I'd claimed Memory Loss prior to the claim for PTSD and it is under appeal for two years. I re-opened my claim for PTSD and recently had my second PTSD exam. The VA Dr. stated I met all criteria for PTSD except C. She diagnosed me with Other Specified Trauma Related Disorder. For rating purposes, She checked boxes for Depressed Mood, Anxiety, Panic Attacks more than once a week, Chronic sleep impairment, Mild Memory loss, Flattened effect, Disturbances in motivation and mood, difficulty establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships and suicidal ideation. Can anyone tell me what that all means?

Thanks everyone

Bear in mind, Opinion.....

I see 70%Schedular,100%TDIU and the big one, Service Connected.

However, these are just guesses, we can't tell you much unless you're willing to put up a Redacted copy of your C&P's. Cover all personal Info and copy paste here in the Forums. 

Good Luck

OK, I'll have to figure out how to scan and paste into the forum. I can't imagine I would get such a high rating based on how difficult it was to get rated for the things I had hospital medical records to prove. I did have a 1974 evaluation where I discussed some of the symptoms I have with a shrink and they are similar to those symptoms the recent examiner checked .  I should have filed for all of this many years ago, but I just wasn't motivated to do that. I wish i had now..oh well.

Thanks

Mental Health Disabilitss are Rated on a Wonky ass system, it's about hitting certain criteria, and thats just based off of a Schedular medical rating point of view. Being able to maintain Substantial Gainful Employment is another, all Vets have a inferred Claim for TDIU if they aren't able to maintain SGO when they apply for bennefits. Go get em 

While I agree that Suicidal ideations are in the 70% category or higher for mental disorders, you need to first prove "service connection" for your mental disorder, regardles of whether they call it PTSD, depression, TBI, bipolar, etc.  

So, put the horse before the cart before you start adding up symptoms:  Get it service connected.  Make sure you have documentation of the Big 3 Caluza triangle in your file:  1.  Current diagnosis, 2 In service event or aggravation.

(Its not enough to "have" an in service event, you need to "have documentation" of that event.)

3.  Nexus, or docs statement that your mental health disorder is "at least as likely as not" due to the trauma you recieved in service.  

• HadIt.com Elder

VA MH Dr's can write Notes  =Veteran carry's guilt from his military days & events he states of trauma events that he describe while in the military &  ( dates/location)

a veteran can prove his in service event with Buddy statements and his lay statement of the event and  has evidence to put him there on days of the event, like morning reports,  orders from commanding officer, in-country travel orders, the area /location dates of describe event

Any Military Document with the dates and his name rank and service # that puts that veteran there.

DD-214

FROM BUCK

Make sure you have documentation of the Big 3 Caluza triangle in your file:

1.  Current diagnosis, 2 In service event or aggravation.

(Its not enough to "have" an in service event, you need to "have documentation" of that event.)

3.  Nexus, or docs statement that your mental health disorder is "at least as likely as not" due to the trauma you recieved in service.  

So I think I have all of these. Current MH diagnosis, hospital notes from Long Bihn 24th evac, a buddy letter from someone who witnessed the event and the Dr. stated in her diagnosis my condition is MOST LIKELY CAUSED by military service. and whatever else they found in reports i have not seen. The va disability route is a complicated road that doesn't  make a whole lot of sense to me. but I guess the rules are there for a reason. Thanks for all your comments.

Can anyone tell me how to change my rank on my profile? It assigned me a recruit rank when i filled in all the fields.I can't see a way to change it...not important but I just wondered.