VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

situation with the VA

Rate this question

Boris

Question

This is my problem. I was injured in an accident while in the Army. I messed up my neck and back and never received proper treatment. I needed to get medical care, so I went to the VA and they VA informed me that I can't get medical treatment until my disability rating was approved. I applied for disability and waited a year just for them to deny it and state the LOD was signed wrong. I checked with the VA hospital and they stated that it was correct. I had to file an appeal. In the meantime, I have to fly to Russia and Ukraine to get affordable medical care as my health insurance here costs too much to use. My injuries also caused me to be unable to work in a physical field that I am used to, so I wanted to use Voc Rehab,  but I am  unable to until I get rated.

How screwed am I?

4 answers to this question

Can you scan and attach here  the Reason and Bases part of the denial and the Evidence list they used?

Cover C file, name, address etc prior to scanning it.

I dont know what they mean by a LOD that was signed wrong.Have you taken any steps to get it corrected?

Welcome to VA.   Its a "wonderful world of delay and denial", that most of us have experienced.  Dont feel like the lone ranger that you have been denied the first go around.  Its the VA way, as it saves them money 3 ways:

1.  Since many Vets never appeal, they get out of paying completely.

2.  A denial, at a minimum, always means VA can pay those benefits out of "next years" or the year after that, or the year after that budget.  

3.  Even if a Veteran does appeal, many times the VA delays or denies it so long he dies or is too weak to keep fighting and looses anyway.  

The only fix, for you, is to appeal until you win.   Delays and denials are the VA's profit center.   

If you do as Berta suggested, we may be able to help you word your NOD.  You see, when you file a NOD, you need to show that VA's reasons and bases for the denial are bogus and refute them.  

For example, VA's favorite denial reasons is "there is no evidence in the file (supporting the Vets award)..."

when, in fact, there IS evidence supoorting the VEterans award, but the VA never bothered to read it, or lost it.  

MOstly, we can refute VA's reasons, but we have to know what those are.  

YOU also need to order a copy of your Cfile, if you have not already done so, so you can determine what is actually there...many times VA shreds key evidence.  About 60% of the time, according to a VAOIG report, the VA puts stuff in the shredder bin that should not be there.  

BO: if you've been unable to work, you should qualify for VA Med care, with Deductible &/or copay's based on your reported income, at least it used to be that way. What's it cost to fly to Russia/Ukraine for Med Treatment?

As Berta advised, post your "Redacted" Claims & Denials, give us something to work with.

What type of Appeal did you file? Are you using a VSO?

Semper Fi