VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help Getting Married to non us citizen

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I am Getting married to a jamaican citizen in a few weeks.. I just called the 1800 number and the lady said that she will need a social security number to be added.. then she shaid she was not sure.. In jamaica they have a trn 9 digit number was wondering if i could put that?  Has anyone been in this situation. I am 100 percent and she is in college and want to get her the chapter 35 benefits.  If anyone knows anything about this please tell me. I am waiting for social security to call me back and see if we can get her one.  We do not plan on filing for her citizenship at this time and are going to live in Jamaica

4 answers to this question

If you plan on getting her a green card, she can use that to support a request for a social security number.  About 6 years ago, it took my now ex-wife no time at all to get a green card and social security number.  We were stationed in Korea at the time and did everything through the embassy.  I'm not sure about how long it takes in the states.

I do not plan on bringing her to the states at this time so we are not filing the paper work.. I am hoping someone has had this issue and can let me know if i can add a dependant withou a social security number.

Edited by adkins7b