VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOVA Attorney Information/Recommendation

Rate this question

Jamezam

Question

Well I received my SOC today on 11 different Pending Disabilities. Of course they were all denied even with three DBQ's and NEXUS letter from my physician. I have a call into Jamie Olivares a NOVA Attorney in Olympia, WA. Just wondering if anyone has ever worked with her, the law offices of Elie Halpern & Associates PLLC, or if anyone has a great recommendation for a VA Attorney. Thanks...

James

Buck/Bronc I've used Attig's advice and E-Books, great Vet source of legal Info.

Just saying, my friend that I advised to contact Attig, after a case review by Attig's firm, was told to look elsewhere for his BVA Representation. The $25K is what I think his upper limit if Awarded would be, not really sure (I don't think he has a strong case).

Barring a CAVC case, where attorney Fees can get paid, the 20% Fee ($5K) could be considered as "Chump Change," not to you or I but to an established Law Firm.

Not unusual, in Civil Litigation, for even small firms to require $2500 to $5K for a retainer and another $10K up front if it goes to trial. Considering the Lawyers clock charges by 15 min min intervals, the 20% Retro on 25K would only cover about 12.5 hrs of the Lawyer/Paralegal/research assistance billed time @ $400 per hr.

He ended up getting a Pro Bono Attorney from the NVLSP. The recent DC BVA Hearing resulted in Remands.

Semper Fi

I agree with Gastone.  The attorney does a risk rewards analysis.  It cost them money to "take a case", and then not get paid, as they have to pay for assistants time, and lawyers like to get paid.  

The more money involved, the higher risk they can take.  

With a max 25 k retro, many experienced attorneys simply dont want that.  Newer attornies will take on the smaller retro to get experience, as experience is valuable.  The experienced attorney's dont need/want experience, they want money.  I suggest you try a less experienced attorney with a smaller retro.  Like a new rookie trying to make it in the NFL preseason, they will give you their all, tho they may make rookie mistakes, you will get great effort which sometimes overcomes an experienced pro who knows what to do, but does not want to bother.  He knows he already made the team, so sometimes you see an upset and the complacent Veteran gets cut in favor of a rookie giving it his all.  

I had contacted both Attig and H&P, both turned me away. So neither got any of my $57K EED award. Now my case is being reviewed by a NOVA lawyer.  My current case has potential to bump me from 80 to 100% going back to April of 2015. Which isn't a big retro now, but by the time it plays out, could be reasonable amount for them to get a few off of.

Anytime you are looking for an attorney first find one to

take your case , his cost and your out of pocket money to him.

Will he provide IMO's OR IME'S for your case, if need be. Does he

only get paid if he wins your case??  and if he looses I OWE NOTHING

that's a good attorney. Anytime big retro is involve I just cant take a chance

with a rookie attorney.  jmho RU

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. I contacted Attig by filling out a consultation requests. I know they're busy, but I gave them a deadline to contact me. Did not even receive an acknowledgement from them. I did however, receive several emails telling me about how great their firm is and to buy their ebooks. I know firms are busy, it's frustrating enough for Veteran's having to wait years for the VA to respond, it's equally frustrating to feel like you're treated by some firms, the same way the VA treats us.

I will contact some other firms, who want my business and care about helping me above whether or not I'll be a cash cow for them... Nothings free, but everyone deserves to be treated with value...