VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Panicking...PTSD or MDD?

Rate this question

anxiousinMD

Question

My claim moved to Preparation for Decision phase (relieved to see progress but also terrified). Compared to others, my claim seems to be moving along. I was never scheduled for a C&P, but I have pretty thorough treatment records over the past year, a favorable IMO, and have history of disability leave from work.

QUESTION: I am panicking because I just realized my VA treatment records over the past year lists the primary dx of Major Depressive Disorder (PTSD is mentioned a couple times), with medication prescribed for treatment of depression, anxiety, and insomnia. I put in an increase for my SC PTSD-MST, but MDD isn't SC already (although depression is a symptom of PTSD)...the majority of my treatment is for MDD. I know the VA doesn't allow pyramiding, but will that count for the PTSD increase evaluation? Or will they deny my claim and make me prove SC for the depression? I'm so worried now, I'm not sure why it didn't occur to ask before I submitted the claim and why it just occurred to me now, maybe the brain fog...please let me know your thoughts, I'm freaking out. At least if I know to expect a denial, I can mentally prepare and begin focusing my energy on the next steps...thank you in advance.

Edited by anxiousinMD

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you @Tbird, this process is nearly unbearable, I'm afraid...the only thing that keeps me going most days is the ability to help support my kids in college...the LTD insurance is covering finances for at least another year (limited to 2 years for mental health issues), but after that I'm useless. If my claim bounces around at least I know it's being considered and not outright denied. I'm afraid the lack of a C&P and the speed means a denial. I guess if I'm denied I will have at least another year to appeal before things are completely unbearable. I know I'm fortunate to have the LTD insurance to fill the gap for now, but I'm not getting any better.

• Founder

a word on the LTD if you start collecting Social Security chances are your LTD company will want any retroactive pay and reduce your LTD benefit by whatever Social Security pays. that being said you should think about about applying for Social Security disability at a point that it makes sense for you.

i was in the same boat on LTD 2 year max due to mental health issues and waiting for Veterans Affairs to decide, I lost a year of Social Security Disability pay because I just could not get myself together enough to apply another veteran finally got it done for me. LTD wanted all the retro and deducted the amount I received from SSA from my LTD check. Also make sure you are having enough taxes taken out of your LTD check I did not and had a big bill at the end of the year.

@Tbird my LTD company actually made me file for SSDI benefits and let me know that they would withhold retro and I'm required to appeal every denial. They threatened to withhold my payments until I showed proof I applied for SSDI. It doesn't seem legally fair or right but it is in the LTD policy language and it is what it is, I have very little fight in me. On a good note, I didn't know anything about SSDI benefits until my insurance company forced me to. It took me almost a year to get both applications in for VA and for SSA, working on the claims when I could with my kids. I'm waiting for the SSA decision as well, I submitted both claims around the same time. It's all enough to drive anyone off the edge. Thank you for the heads up about the taxes, I'm not sure how that works...I wasn't taxed last year on my LTD and it says something about non-taxable benefits and they didn't withhold anything...guess I'll figure that monster out when it hits me over the head.

I do agree with Tbird, in theory.  However, VA works on the Peter Principle...if there is a way to mess it up, they will.  

I have read of cases where Veterans were denied for PTSD, because they had a MDD diagnosis instead.  For your own peace of mind, I dont see any harm in filling out a 21-4138, and explain you are applying for PTSD/MDD and any other mental disorder that may be diagnoses, and that your application is not limited to PTSD or MDD.  

I mean gee, whizz, the PTSD/MDD Vet is not required to diagnose his own illness...that is why they have docs to diagnose and treat these maladies.  

This said, some GS7 rater can and has denied Vets for PTSD when they had MDD instead or vice versa, as a current diagnosis is required and the Veteran is required to "specify the benefit sought".  I recall reading that one person suggested you specify by "pointing to the body part which hurts".  You need not be an expert on mental disorders or anatomy to appy for VA benefits.  

If you applied for the wrong one (PTSD or MDD), I agree the VA should catch that and it should not be a problem.  However, if it makes YOU feel better, go ahead and send a 21-4138, that you wish to apply for both and any other mental disorder that doctors may diagnose previously, currently or in the future.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had MDD, Bipolar, schizophrenia, anxiety disorder, panic disorder and a few more over the years.  When I got P&T some years ago the doctor included PTSD, but now the VA never mentions this DX.

I tend to agree with Tbird that regardless of your DX if it is service connected they rate the same based on degree of impairment.   Maybe the VA doctors think MDD is not as ominous as PTSD, but I don't

think that is true.  For years I had the most ominous DX of all, schizophrenia,  and I only got 10%.  I got 30% when the VA changed it to bipolar 11 at an exam.  Then when I got 70% they switched back to

schizophrenia.  This was 15 years ago and the rules for PTSD DX were still that you had to be a combat vet mostly with CIB or PH.  You had to prove the stressor and describe it in detail.    VA does work on

Peter Principle.  If they can screw it up they probably will.   I knew that was Bronco posting when I saw those words.  I have ratings where I got all I asked for and they screwed it up to where I could not

figure out how they got there.