VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combined Ratings

Rate this question

Ray C

Question

I just found out by going onto Ebenefits that my disability rating increased from 30% to 80% after my recent submitted claim.  I have not received the award letter yet.

I went to the combined ratings table to check on how they arrived at the 80% figure but I end up with a rating of "73".  From what I read I should have received a disability rating of 70%. Not that I'm complaining but I just like to know how they determined it was 80%.  The following are the individual ratings.  Can someone shed some light on the VA rating system. 

Thanks in advance.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

12 minutes ago, toddt said:

I get 73 also.  Either they made a mistake or you are missing a disability.

Do you happen to know if percentages are awarded to SMC-K ratings ? I don't have my letter from my previous claim in front of me but that's the only thing that I can think of that may give me the extra bump to reach 80%. 

The SMC K (Dead D Award) for ED, is a stand alone, no SC %.

For most Vets, the whole SMC (Special Monthly Comp) thing is somewhat difficult to understand. I think AskNod did a Post on it, give it a read. I think SMC K (ED) and SMC S (1) (Statutory Housebound) might be (2) of the most Awarded SMCs. As with all the other SMCs, no additional SC % are given.

Semper Fi

2 hours ago, Gastone said:

The SMC K (Dead D Award) for ED, is a stand alone, no SC %.

For most Vets, the whole SMC (Special Monthly Comp) thing is somewhat difficult to understand. I think AskNod did a Post on it, give it a read. I think SMC K (ED) and SMC S (1) (Statutory Housebound) might be (2) of the most Awarded SMCs. As with all the other SMCs, no additional SC % are given.

Semper Fi

Gastone,

Thanks for your response and the chuckle after reading "Dead D Award" !

Did you run your SC's on Hadit's Comp Calculator? No Bi-Lateral SC's right?

Semper Fi

Ray, just ran your SC numbers from what you indicated above, 4 @ 20% each an 4 @ 10% each. VA Math gives you a 73.126, rounded down to 70% Combined SC Rating.

If you got an 80% Rating Letter, you have to of missed something or a couple of your SC's, EX hands or feet etc, got a Bilateral Award that your not aware of. You needed less than 1.74 to get to 75 rounded to 80% SC.

Let's talk about where to go from here.

Semper Fi