VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSDI & California SDI

Rate this question

MKAH

Question

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I was approved for SSDI and a direct deposit was posted to my account.

I have been drawing California State Disability since 1/6/2016 and understand that as far as SDI is concerned, I can draw both at the same time.  However, it is also my understanding that the SSDI used an "offset" formula to reduce the total combined government benefits to not more than 80% of that the SSDI website calls "average current earnings" income?  The Social Securty pamphlet; "How workers compensation and other disability payments may effect your benefits" page 4, reads "we use different formulas to calculate your average current earnings".

The information I was able to find is as follows:

504.3What is average current earnings?

“Average current earnings” is the highest of:

1. Your average monthly wage upon which your un-indexed disability primary insurance amount is based (see Chapter 7);

2. Your average monthly earnings from covered employment and self-employment during the highest five years in a row after 1950; or

3. Your average monthly earnings based on the single calendar year of highest earnings from covered employment. This single calendar year can be the year that your disability began or any of the five years immediately proceeding the year your disability began.

My income for the past five years is as follows (2013 being highest amount):

2015 $72,421
2014 $72,934
2013 $98,924   <--------
2012 $83,397
2011 $76,085

My current SDI monthly income is:  $3,272
My current SSDI monthly income is $2,324
-----------------------------------------------------
Total government SDI/SSDI            $5,596

$98,924 dived by 12 =                    $8,243

$5,596 dived by $8,243 =               67.88% of my income in 2013

The question:
Based on my math and understanding of the rules, it appears to me that I will not have an offset applied to my SSDI?   (I have four months of SDI remaining)

Any comments would be great.

Mark

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

you may still have a problem they dont talk to each other much i was on SDI but had not drawn it for over a year and the still offset my SSDI check It took 4 months to get it corrected. My wife hangs onto everything and I had a statement from my last Check From SDI and thats the only way it was corrected.