VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

80 year old Army Vet wants to file his first claim.

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A Good Friend of mine of 45 years wants me to help him & his  daughter file his first ever claim   he is 80 years old.

and never ever filed a claim for anything from the VA, His son is no help at all and I was going to help his son file a claim but he told me the hell with the VA..They got him some(the son) hearing aids and they didn't help so he through them in the lake..I stopped have conversation with him when he said that. I know that kind.  come to find out his son never served...wtf?

Anyway

I told them I would help there Dad but he will need to go to a Dr...for IMO & NEXUS  I'm not sure what he wants to claim but he has high blood pressure and being treated for aneurysms  , he has other aliments too and one I tihnk is PTSD  he stays in his bedroom and won't go any where these last ten years   and  is very unsociable.

I mention to his wife he seems to have PTSD Symptoms , he was not in any conflict  I believe he was in Germany  and I don't know what his MOS was  but he has hearing problems and never been tested..I will look at his STR's and request his C-File, he supposably has his military records & DD 214.

I can help this veteran get anything or at least S.C. I will do all I can...his daughter ask me for the help...I told her  your Dad will need to see a Dr..and read most of his military records...she ask me if the VA hAS  limit on to how long  a veteran can file for a claim  I said no I sure don't think they do...if he was hurt or had a disease while he was in the military..we can file a claim for it..we just need to prove it happen during his Military service  and I am hoping his records has some thing in them that  will help us/him..I think he served in 1959 to 1962..so its been over 50 years now..I told him if a WAR WAR 11 VET can file  I don't see why he can't.

This veteran is in real bad health and he may not last if it takes a while for them to award him anything....

I maybe asking for help...I will be getting his records in about 2 weeks.

............................Buck

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

his DD214 can give you alot of info, there are campaign awards,  SPN codes, ect.  you caqn learn alot by taking a forensic approach to the available information.

Also he need not have been in actual combat to recieve compensation, only has to have been in a combat zone, and they must take is word for any injuries or ilnesses he suffered., its reguation. He could have tripped getting off the airplane at vietnam, banged his head, and file a claim for it and win. NO SHIT!!!!

ALso, because of his age, he can get priority claims processing, although the VA may try and out live him, (and they always win that fight).

Edited by 63SIERRA

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree

I am waiting for his daughter to get me his STR'S & DD 214...SHE SAID HE HAS ALL THESE!

The only thing I might have a problem with is his daughter don't think he will go to a C&P Exam..he hates Dr's obviously..so if we can't get him to go to his C&P  Then What?

Just from being around him  in my opinion he has PTSD very bad and very unsociable he only stays in his Bedroom watches old westerns  smokes his ciggs and drinks his Mogan David Wine...thats ihs quailty of life  he is skinny as a broom stick  and this guy back when I knew him 30/40 years ago was strong big 6'4 and jolly...now its 360  I went to see him last weekend and he remembers me but never had to much to say  I did all the talking  but I am 17 years younger than him and in better health.

He has no Diagnose for PTSD but if a psychiatrist talked with him   I bet he would be diagnose with it.

After the Army he did different jobs  mostly as a Mover for Mayflower Movers and then self employed. He has  problems with his Knees (arthritics)  probably job related  but I need to know what he did in the military? any injury's diseases ect,,ect,,...his memory seems to be ok? but gets confused easy.

He has been diagnose with a stomach aneurysm    /heavy smoker for years & years&still smokes over pack a day and  he has COPD Very Bad  he is taking meds for that but not on Oxygen.

he does not use the VA he currently is using SS Medicare

it seems he has lost his will to live...and just waiting to die.

his spouse has Heart problems very bad &she is currently being treated for that  they both are in very bad health  an his daughter is very concerned for their health   maybe not so much the comp but for help with medical part. ...

"so if we can't get him to go to his C&P  Then What?"

VA will deny the claim.

Not enough info here yet to even guess on whether he has any SC potential or not.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I agree  but I won't ask him to file a claim  Until I can read his records  I can't do anything,  & his mental state is why he won't go to a Dr.

he can still walk and mosey around his house but usually 99%of his time is spent in his bedroom on the bed watching TV & Smoking ... needless to say his room smells awful

I am going to ask his daughter to get him to the VAMC and have an evaluation ...for PTSD and other health issues , compare his str's when I get them try to find anything in his medical that we can connect a claim to...at least get it S.C for now..I have no Ideal what I might find  if anything?

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck the age for priority claims placement based on advanced age is now at 90 years old. I just went through this with my WWII grandfathers claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks John

I'll pass this on to his daughter! she is in a fight with him at present  b/c he says'' he don't want to file a claim if he has to go see those damn Dr's''..so his daughter is undecided  to know what to do? this is a very ornery  old vet.  

If they give me his records to look over and I see a possible contention he can claim I'll let them both know, but that he will most likely need to see a Dr... he won't like that ideal.