VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psychiatrist refuses to sign paperwork

Rate this question

seminoles

Question

My psychiatrist at the VA has refused to sign paperwork for me to obtain a service dog from an organization that provides them for for disabled veterans with panic disorders, etc.  She states the VA precludes her from doing so.  I then asked her if she would submit the necessary paperwork for me to be a part of the new pilot program which the VA just announced that is for mental health that impacts mobility.  I am diagnosed (by her) with agoraphobia with panic disorder.  She mumbled that she knew nothing about it and would "look into it".  She sent me a message through secure messaging today after I reminded her and sent a message to the patient advocate because I am tired of them just increasing my klonopin every few months along with every other medication.  At this point, if I take all the klonopin she recommends I won't have a panic attack because I will be on my couch drooling all day long or asleep.  So, my question is if I can't get my worthless psychiatrist to do anything, the patient advocate seems to think that the VA doesn't pay for service dogs...........which I wasn't even asking them to do.  Sign paperwork was what I was asking for initially but with the pilot program honestly I am a perfect candidate. Who is above them?  I am not post 9/11 and have no other health insurance so just going to see someone else isn't really an option but getting drugged into addiction is not something that is something that a think is "treatment" either.  So drug me, of course, sign paperwork for a service dog....hell no?  Someone suggested I contact my congressperson, Bob whoever that is, the head of the women's clinic (not sure why that matters) and news stations (I have agoraphobia so that probably wouldn't be good for me honestly).  I just want to be able to get a service dog so I can take less drugs hopefully and go to my doctor's appoinments without my hubby or adults kids having to take me because I turn into a panic attack mess, I don't think that is so much to ask.  If anyone knows about this mysterious regulation the VA has that prevents them from signing paperwork from all of these organizations that provide service dogs for any reason, not just psychiatric I would love to know what it is! 

If the patient advocate don't do you no

good than I would go to the Director office

and file a complaint and they will get you an answer

or maybe ask for another Doctor.

12 hours ago, wablackwell said:

Maybe you should ask to see a different psychiatrist. It sounds like this one is not going to do you any favors.

I wish it were that easy, my last psychiatrist of 10 years transferred and it took me 8 freaking months to get this lady.  I don't care for her at all but until they hire a replacement I am stuck I think.  I did contact the organization and they are working with me because the know there isn't much I can do if the VA won't sign my paperwork but I can provide all my records, etc. and they have medical/psychiatric staff volunteers.  It is just frustrating to have someone push pills at you :(

I go to the El Paso VA my psychiatrist would not sign my paper work(DBQ) I had for him either. He told me the VA does not allow him too. Lucky for me I am retired so I used my Tricare and had private doctor fill it out. I now going back to the VA and requested a new psychiatrist and i got my request granted. My new psychiatrist seems a lot better in caring and helping my condition. I am sorry about that because you deserve a service dog. Do have a VA one stop in your area. If so maybe they can give you some advise? Good luck my friend, I wish the best

Can't say I know anything about your MH SC, in regards to DBQ Regs for your Treating VA Psychiatrist.

However, I do know that VA Regs direct VA MH Clinicians directly involved in the treatment of PTSD Vets, to hand off the PTSD DBQ request to another MH Dept Dr, that is not involved in the Vet's treatment. Dr - Patient trust issues seem to be the main concern.

You may want to request the DBQ again on your MHV Secure Msg and attach a copy of the VA DBQ Reg.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I think or in  my opinion  it makes a world of difference if you click with your psychiatrist or therapist.

I have Chronic PTSD with unspecific panic disorders

I have Acrophobia bad bad

I been going to a  VA LCSW Male therapist for two years now  and he don't seem to be helping me any,  he uses stories to tell and ask me things like what will it hurt to go out & meet people  the people are not going to hurt you..(.I said IDK you tell me) and he ask a question with a question  and I really don't see this helping me at all & each therapy session seems to be the same old bore ...I do need a service Dog..I Seem to feel better and safe with a Dog.

I think I do better or listen better with a female, My older MD PCP is Male  he relocated to North Carolina  and was replace with a female MD PCP...Ever since I been using her as my PCP she has helped me with my health problems a lot better and gets me into the specialty clinics and listens to me about my health problems..I can talk to her better...I don't know why? but it seems I get along with women better than men..maybe a personal problem  but  this is just from my past experience.

And I just been using what the VA gives me...So Do we veterans have a choice who we see?

I'm not sure a female therapist would be any better than the male therapist I have now? 

I was talking with other veterans at MH and they mention I request a female therapist  They seem to help them better...I just don't won't to piss off my male therapist   they can make things hard for veteran..it seems they all pride them-self thinking their helping  when in all its making things a lot worse for me...if that makes a lick of sense?

sometimes change is a good thing!

............................Buck