VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What We Really Didn't Know about the (1) Year Rule

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

After returning from Nam 11/69, I was separated from the Corps, at the Great Lakes Navel Training Center. One day of seeing Naval Drs and signing Discharg papers, I was good to go.

As with many other Nam Vets ( GI, Squids, other Jarheads and even a few FlyBoys) that I've come to know, to a man, nobody remembers anything discussed during their Separation Processing regarding the "1 Year Rule" for Service Connection of any Medical Conditions.

It wasn't until I requested and received my MSR, that I saw that the 1st LT that completed my Separation Documents had signed off, indicating that he had discussed all VA Benefits with me. Not sure but I don't think I was Drunk, that day.

Any of you Nam Vets recall the (ONE Year for Service connection Rule) being discussed during your Separation Processing?

Semper Fi

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone 

I remember a little bit when I ETS out from Nam  After the long bumping plane ride back we landed in Oakland Calif, bus pick us up took us to Ft Hord Calif.

There I remember getting these sheets of paper and they had us empty our duffel bag out on this long counter (returning fatigues  boots belts and Nam paraphernalia I had some ''soviners''  they took them and pics I had  said it was contraband  , those sheets of paper were papers  we took going around to different  Staff Sgts & Officers  to initial  

These sheets of paper were 21-137 Installation clearance record, I Barely remember any medical test ? maybe I was ask about if anything was wrong with me  and I probably said no  cause all that was on my mind was going Home and seeing my G/F.

I  had a  C&P Examiner later on years later state in his report that I was given a Hearing test at my separation  but I don't ever remember it ? but if its on records I guess I did.

Back in Oakland nothing to me was said about Comp Claims or how to file ...it was years  and years later until I filed my first comp claim.

After about 1:00 or 2:00 pm  me and another fellow soldier from the Green Beret went ate our steak dinner (it was my very first time to eat with the commissioned officer's)  other than eating with my Second Lt from Nam (my reporting officer) and then hop a bus off the compound and went into town (San Francisco  we went bought us some civilian clothes and went had a few drinks before heading to the Airport  for Home.

somehow all my military records I did get home with either got throwed away by mistake or lost  and boy do I need them now.  NARPC says they sent me all they had and that's not good enough for me to prove some changes on my DD-214.  So says the Army Review Boards of military Records.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet

I never knew anything about the 1 year rule way back then 1971...boy am I letting my grandson know about the VA, He has been in the N.G.now 2 years but just goes to Drills and things while he is still going to school  he has a part time job too, He completed Basic at Ft Jackson S.C  & Ft Lenard wood Mo,For AIT MOS 88-M COMBAT CONVOY TRANSPORT AND GUN CREW & he just completed  combat Medic School  Secondary MOS as  68-W Combat medic  at San Antonio  Tx...& I been letting him know (Drilling him) to Make damn sure  if/when/you go to the military hospital for a cold  keep those records  or for  any injury or disease he gets. while in the military AD or NG

I told him make sure you get it all  Medically Documented  and I'm not kidding ya  he said Yes I will Grandpa  and I told him about the 1 year rule  although he sign up for 6 years to finish his degree.

he said is unit maybe deployed to Afghanistan (pending?)... b/c of his MOS as Combat Medic.

I guess they started sending the N.G. Units over there now?

I wish I had know then what I know now..so If I  get the chance I see the AD guys all the time up at my VAMC  and I tell them to get everything medically documented while there on AD and when they separate out get use of that 1 year rule  if you have an in-service injury or anything relate to it.

Edited by Buck52

I got out in 2008 and there was no word about 1 year, much less VA disability.  I was AGR (Active Guard and Reserve).  They do not even give you a exit physical unless you ask for one.

I should state that I was "involuntarily seperated" and not reitred.  Fired.

I here/heard that those that retired (20 years AGR) had a seperation meeting with a VA representative.

Anyway, I researched it all on my own and Hadit.com was one of the first web sites I joined and used.

And I did make the one year cutoff.

FWIW, I think that the Veteran is both served and missled by the free healthcare when we came back from Iraq, whether it was 180 days or 5 years, etc.  The Veteran doesn't claim within a year of seperation because he has 5 years free healthcare.  Do you see what I am saying?

VA heathcare and VA disability.  Two seperate entities, and I don't theink new (and old) Veterans understand the difference.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA /or DOD don't want us vets to know about the VA System when we get out!

My Oldest brother retired Sgt Major 30 years   and he was never informed about the 1 year Rule or anything VA Related, I'm not sure if he had a discharge physical or not?  he never mention it, but he did mention to me he don't know anything about the VA or Dept of Veterans Affairs, he has been retired from the Army 20 years and also retired from his civilian job as well  and is a part time Honor Guard Instructor.

He knows of the VA but don't know how the system works , they have private Insurance and use private care.

I told him he is better off  not using the VA Healthcare System... he is 73 and looks 55/60    he has always been the eat right exercise type and still does it today....I mention to him about claims and such and  about hadit.com  But he says he is in great Health  he did a Tour in Nam also 1966/67...so I mention to him about A.O. and any disease he might get  or any injury's while in the military and they start to bother him  he can file a claim. he said ok.

It maybe where veterans are seperated too as for as any information given to them     I think different parts of the country let veterans know about the 1 year Rule..and  theses new vets from the gulf wars should be informed  from 1990 the start of Desert Storm  to all the ones since then and current.

I hope they will learn from us older veterans....to check out that 1 year Rule and stay on top of there Health and file that claim if need be.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hell it was 20 years after I got out and had to have an operation one time  we had no medical insurance  luckly for me my neighbor was a veteran and mention to us about the VAMC..My father-n-law took my ass to the nearest VA all I took was my DD-214  They did the surgery on me

and after 2 weeks I was checking out of the VAMC Hospital and I was sent to Audiology and they did a hearing test  and the Audiologist mention I had some very bad hearing  he ask me if I was around loud noise or in Vietnam I said Hell yeah I was....he is the one that mention to me about filing a claim with the VA.

Had I never got that Audiology Test  I never would have known to file.  a waist of years  because I was never informed about the VA or how the claim process works.....pisses me off still today  although I got my claims approved  but I went years with bad Hearing/other military related contentions as well eh!

When I was awarded my claim they made dame sure it was not the start of my onset Hearing loss  they made my EED the date I first filed...Again if I had known then what I know Now ..I would hve got 10 times the retro I did get   and it was little over 10.000 grand.

For veterans not informed of the VA System  look at the thousands of Dollars their beat out of.