VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Make Copies!

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

''Just a Reminder''

Rather your an older veteran with your claims  complete or just starting out!

Please do this

All Veterans should make copies of all there claims evidence or any thing you send VA and anything they send you!

If you do your claims electronically  print out hard copy's and place them in a organized folder, if you use paper copies and send to the VA snail Mail with return receipts make copies and put them into your folder.

It will be easier down the road if you ever need them.

Since computers are known to blow out hard drives from time to time...you will have your copies if you need them.

its good practice to do this when your doing your claims evidence &  make a couple copies for yourself / folder

keep for safe keeping at least 20 years after you win your award/claim

jmo

............................Buck

Time for even us Old Dogs to join the Digital Generation.

I love Trees but I hate PAPER and I think Trees, REALLY HATE Paper.

USB 3.0 Flash Drives with a $50 SentrySafe Storage vault does the trick, for me. I even keep my VMC Med Record CDs in it, plenty of room.

Back in 01/14, after waiting about 14 mos since  my C-File FOIA request, an 8-9 in thick package containing my C-File arrived. Certainly wish it had been on CD, thumbing thru the PAPER was a real pain.

When I get around to it, might start Scanning it to a Thumb Drive, then shred it.

With that in mind, I think I'll file another FOIA for the complete C-File, see if it all comes on CD now. Save me having to scan it. 

SAVE the TREEs, Think GREEN! I'm going out and Hug a Tree, right now.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

yes back ups are important

I got my C-File in July  it was in CD ROM..I Copied it to my computer and saved it using Acrobat Reader Pro..and keep the CD in a safe place

The Acrobat Reader Pro copy's it using

images  so when I want to find something  just write a date  in or a subject  it brings up front.  vs scrolling down to find what ya need.

I use it for my other CD's I copied..and just put up the original CD's up for safe keeping.

But on Average most Veterans use paper to file their claims or maybe 50/50  either way make copies or BACK UP your claims evidence or VA records.

I know how confusing the e benefits program is to a lot of veterans.  and I'm one of those Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

email this lady at

maryann.wentzel1@va.gov

She is Records Mananger  at NAPRC ....>just mention you got her email from another veteran she helped.

And ask her if she can help you get your Digitized  C-FILE  you may need to send a FOIA  But if you already have one on file  maybe not.

she helped me get mine.

Buck

I already checked, you have to file the New FOIA.

What will be interesting to see is, exactly how much of my C-File comes on the New CD. The C-File package I receive 01/14 only contained all my C-File Records up to the date of my FOIA filing, 06/2012.

As Vets, we're entitled to (1) free copy of our C-File. With that said, all my C-File records from 06/2012 to the date I file my New FOIA should be, and probably will be free.

I don't think I really need them, at this point, just want to check it out.

Semper Fi

Buck52 my last claim I filed it electronically but didn't make a hard copy of my claim. I have copies of my evidence i sent in because i scanned it  to my computer.  is there a way i can get a copy other than filing a claim for my c-file?

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I am not sure on e benefit's ,if you already sent it in?... you might try going to historical claims  and see if its there? or New claims.... open it and see? once a claim is filed  then its wait time for a decision...they sometimes send you a letter asking if you have any more evidence to send in.(when your claim is in (gathering evidence)

I messed up one time on e benefit's and some how hit the ITF (Intent to File) button   and I never had a claim to file  so its either let them know to cancel the INT or keep it in e benefit's for a year?  I chose to just keep it for a year and let it play its self out  just in case I do have a claim to file....hey its good for a year!

I'll do some research on how to find your claim you submitted and see how to make a copy of it.

I'll get back to you.