VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Medical Exam for sleep apnea.

Rate this question

Rocket1949

Question

Hello Hadit followers.

I have an appointment with a civilian sleep doctor coming up.  I'm looking for help to ensure that I get this right. 

I was diagnosed with ( OSA ) obstructive sleep apnea after two different VA doctors put in a request for a sleep study. Both doctors had stated that my symptoms and the fact that I had PTSD could be a indicator of sleep apnea. 

After getting lost in anachronism hell , ( IME,IMO,DBQ  and some I can't remember ) ,I've narrowed it down to getting an Independent Medical Exam to show a link between my Sleep Apnea and PTSD. I could not get my VA doctors to write me a letter. I have found a doctor whom  at least acknowledges that there is a link between SA and PTSD. I've seen other doctors and they didn't think there was a link. From what I have researched  there is a body of evidence that states there is.

If after this new doctor exams me and agrees that there is a link I'm going to ask him to write an letter in support of my claim.

I need help on what information needs to be in an IME . Does the doctor need to review my C file and medical records? I assume that he does.

Does anyone have an example of a IME letter that they could share ? I'm claiming that my sleep apnea is secondary to my PTSD and that it is aggravated by my PTSD. 

If anyone has anything to share it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post.

Thanks everyone for for those excellent responses. Been off the grid a bit. Processing your suggestions and will be posting more questions in regards to this topic.  

Thanks