VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CHAMPVA

Hi everyone.  Since I was recently awarded a P&T status, I know that we are eligible for CHAMPVA.  I would like to know what your opinions are on having CHAMPVA insurance.  Would you recommend carrying additional insurance as well?  We currently have private insurance through my wife's job.  Also, have you run into problems finding doctors that accept CHAMPVA?  

I appreciate any input you may have.  Thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Its great Insurance  the deduct is 50.00$ year just for spouse 

Also be sure and fill out the forms asap  there's a time limit.

The only problem my spouse had is finding a provider that will take it  This is for spouse only   if you have kids then its more but the ChampVA is a good Insurance   and they have a program'' Meds by mail'' and that is a great program too.

You should get forms with your packet ...you can take your Award letter down to your local county tax office and apply for the free property tax exemption. 

Get you and spouse a Military ID, & Commissary letter, car tags registration mine cost 3:00 $$

Free hunting and fishing License yearly   check with your state/county where you live and get all the benefits they have for 100% Veterans.

My husband and kids still have private insurance that we had before me being awarded 100% PT, my husband is self employed so we pay for it and we aren't giving it up because A. I have zero faith that the VA won't xxxx me and take away my pt at some point and B. our family doctor that we love doesn't accept cash patients or champva or tricare so we are keeping it so we have choices.  It is worth it to us, but may not be for others.  If our doctor would accept cash (which seems to be very hard to find in our area) we would drop it honestly but I can't find anyone to see me as a regular physician without insurance and even the pediatricians here that accept tricare don't seem to want to do the same with champva therefore won't see our family.  Champva is also SLOWER than molasses to get anything done, I have had to call and get cards over and over..........fight with them to cover my daughter in college, etc.  I finally had to get my congresswoman involved to get it fixed.  I am sure I will have to go through the same song and dance with the next child when he turns 21 and falls off his dad's tricare (he provides no support which is part of the critieria of them staying on tricare after 21) and of course he is not cooperative about actually doing anything.   Champva and tricare cannot coexist as insurance, anything else can but not tricare ;)   I prefer tricare honestly and would love it if that were our option not champva but i guess we can be thankful for what we have and try not to bitch ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

My spouse is aguring with Champ VA for a power chair  her Dr Wrote out a script for  we went to the medical supply place that takes Champ VA and  They brought out a power chair to make sure it fits through the doors and is right for her  she loved it  no Bells and whistles Just a Power Chair price 1900....this was back in July..we were wondering what happen the Medical supply store never got back to us  my spouse called them back '' Hey did you guys forget about me...they said that Champ VA would not approve for this particular power chair  it was to expensive , so spouse called Champ VA Talked with a clerk  kinda rude at first my spouse said   anyway the clerk said we need to find a cheaper chair , my spouse said thats ridiculous    my spouse has talked with Mr Glenn Johnson  before and getting his help  (he is Champ VA Director) or  HIGH Authority with Champ VA.

My spouse mention to the clerk  do I have to call Glenn Johnson  to help me with this matter?  then the clerk changed her tune    let me do some rechecking  Oh I see you don't need an approval for a power chair under 2000..and that one is 1900  so you shoud be approved  but so for we have not heard back from anyone   so my spouse will be calling Glenn Johnson...soon