VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I have access to VA examiners' decision documents?

Rate this question

NMNavVet

Question

I received my VA disability claim decisions (one service-connected at 0% and the rest denied).  In review, of VA's "breakdown " of making their decision on my denied disabilities, I noticed two disabilities had the following remarks: "Service treatment records show that _______ manifested while in the service."   I mentioned these conditions based on my VA and private medical records, but was surprised, that it was mentioned in my service records.  I "combed" through my service treatment records but cannot find such entries.  One of my questions, where in my service records did they find these existing conditions?   I am going to appeal, but can I as a Veteran, have access to the VA's examiners decisions or can they reveal where these conditions are located in my service records? 

Its another "catch 22" for Veterans.  The VA is not REQUIRED to release a copy of the exam, tho many VAMC's and VARO's do.  Its like most things at VA...the answer depends on which VA employee you ask.  

The very bad part for those who do not release the exams, is that there is a limited time period when the VEteran can challenge the competency of the examiner.  I got burned by that one!  I waited until the appeal of the decision.  Whoopsie!  That cost me.  Interestingly that is when many Veterans see their exam for the first time.  This is denial of due process on steroids...forbidding the VEteran from seeing the exam, then, when he finally gets to look at it, its too late to challenge the competency of the examiner!  

I did not expect the amount of excellent advice and suggestions.  yeah, a newbie in this world of VA disability.  My DAV Rep. understand my question and he just advised me to review all my records that I had submitted to see if i may have overlooked the service treatment medical records. I told him, i turned in all that I received from the Military Personnel Records.  In fact, I went through it again, still no written or coded entries on optical atrophy or hemorrhoids.  I did ask him, if he or I or both can walk down the hallway to the VA to review my current claim.  To me, he made it sound like it was not doable.  IT SOUNDS TO ME, THAT I CAN REVIEW MY CLAIM AND ALL THE DOCUMENTS.  I AM INTERESTED IN SEEING THE EVIDENCE FROM MY MILITARY SERVICE TREATMENT RECORDS THAT SHOWS OPTICAL ATROPHY AND HEMORRHOIDS.  THE OPTICAL ATROPHY IS OF GREAT INTEREST.  i WAS DIAGNOSED SEVERAL WEEKS BY THE VA  AS LEGALLY BLIND.  IN FACT,I HAD SUBMITTED AN VA DISABILITY QUESTIONNAIRE THAT WAS COMPLETED BY MY PRIVATE EYE DOCTOR OF 13 YEARS AND IN THE QUESTIONNAIRE, HE STATES THAT I HAVE OPTICAL ATROPHY.   

I continued to appreciate all the excellent advice and suggestions.  it brings back hope.  today, I am going to call the VA regional office and make an appointment to see my C-File.  I assuming that I may see the military service treatment records that the VA is referring to that shows my health condition may had its start in the military ("manifested in the service").