VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Overpayment Letter...WTF?

Rate this question

King156

Question

I need help on what to search for on this forum because I just got thrown a loop. 

I had recently completed my 3rd disability claim (I now have a total of 30% disability) & everything seemed fine. However, it's been "complete" on Ebenefits for 3 weeks & I was still awaiting a written notification & my backpay...however, I called the 1-800# twice & the reps kept claiming that everything should be fine.

However, today I just got a letter in the mail saying "the VA recently sent you a letter explaining that you were overpaid $11,000"...first off, I never received a letter saying anything about that (that's not too surprising though). Second, I have no idea of where to even start with this.

My questions:
     1) What do I search for in the forums? I don't even know which words to use for the search engine.

2) How long does this usually take to get resolved.

3) Can I still move forward with my next disability claim while I am working this out?

Update: I just talked to the VA Debt Center & the lady told me that they can supply a copy of the letter that was supposedly sent to me on Sept. 6...the lady said the letter is several pages thick, but she tried to search for a specific reason & couldn't find any.

Edited by King156

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Overpayment letters can come from several sources. There can be overpaid Education benefits, such as keeping benefits from classes not taken or poor self-reporting habits. Overpaid C&P benefits can come from hospitalization with both Compensation and Pension, and usually bad dependent maintenance comes back to bite people on Compensation, such as forgetting to inform VA of a marriage or divorce. Also, overpayment letters can come from unpaid medical bills. The first paragraph of the letter will tell you where the debt was issued from, right before the amount. 

-CHD505

3 hours ago, CoolHandDevil505 said:

Overpaid C&P benefits can come from hospitalization with both Compensation and Pension-CHD505

If the VA has erred regarding over payment in VA disability compensation, they do not require the Veteran to pay it back. They will fix the issue going forward though.

2 hours ago, CoolHandDevil505 said:

Overpayment letters can come from several sources. There can be overpaid Education benefits, such as keeping benefits from classes not taken or poor self-reporting habits. Overpaid C&P benefits can come from hospitalization with both Compensation and Pension, and usually bad dependent maintenance comes back to bite people on Compensation, such as forgetting to inform VA of a marriage or divorce. Also, overpayment letters can come from unpaid medical bills. The first paragraph of the letter will tell you where the debt was issued from, right before the amount. 

-CHD505

Yes, I read that it says "Compensation & Pension". The lady at the VA debt center read through the letter (the letter I never received) & said it's NOT for "Drill Pay", "Education" or something else that I can't remember what she said.

By the way, I have never been married or have any kids. So, that should rule out the dependent thing. And I make less than $15,000/year. 

I'll be going to my VSO on Monday since I believe they have electronic access to the letter.

However I've never received $11k in Compensation. The number is more like a few thousand in disability pay when I added up everything. 

The only time I've been hospitalized was when they baker-acted me a few years ago & for a few different VA ER visits this year. But I never received any bills other than for my prescriptions. 

2 minutes ago, Navy4life said:

If the VA has erred regarding over payment in VA disability compensation, they do not require the Veteran to pay it back. They will fix the issue going forward though.

I believe the lady at the VA Debt Center said that it can take around 4 months to fix if the Disability Dept had made an error. Does that sound correct? I can live with 4 months, but I would like it resolved sooner.

Also, if the VA has erred does that mean that I ask for a hearing or ???...this just isn't my area of expertise.

Just now, King156 said:

I believe the lady at the VA Debt Center said that it can take around 4 months to fix if the Disability Dept had made an error. Does that sound correct? I can live with 4 months, but I would like it resolved sooner.

Also, if the VA has erred does that mean that I ask for a hearing or ???...this just isn't my area of expertise.

I have no idea what the letter is regarding and what it says.  Until then, I can't give you an answer.  I was simply making sure the other poster that stated what he stated understood that if the VA erred on a disability rating and the Veteran was getting over paid for it, the Veteran is not obligated to pay it back.