VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Donating blood is good for you!

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I recently learned how donating blood was good for (many people, not everyone)  Men, especially, tend to have too much iron.  (Women lose Iron from menstration, so its rarely a problem for women to have too much iron)  If you have too much iron, its bad for your health, it can even be life threatening.  

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/home/ovc-20167289

I was a bit suprised they would "take" my blood after I read about the health benefits of donating blood.   I answered all the questions honestly, and they took my blood.  They did a iron test, first, to see if my iron was low. (finger poke).    I donated blood locally, NOT through VA.   Remember, VA has to get you to sign a consent form to get medical information about you other than the VAMC's.  

Here are a few health benefits of donating blood:  It reduces cancer risk, is heart healthy, and can be good for other organs also, especially for men with hi iron.   I read where "old blood" is "sticky" and tends to clot.  When you give blood, your body makes more "new" blood, which is slicker and is less likely to form blood clots.   Of course, you dont want to donate blood too often.  My area only allows you to donate whole blood every 56 days.  (2 months).   

http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-donating-blood-good-your-health-246379

Edited by broncovet

1 answer to this question

Bronc, back in late 80's I read in a Men's Health Mag regarding the Health Benefits of donating Blood, started doing it yearly.

Had Quad BPass Surgery 06, haven't given blood since. I don't think they can use the Blood donated by CAD Vets. I've been thinking about discussing the Pros & Cons of loosing a pint yearly, with my VA Cardiologist.

Semper Fi