VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ailments occurred after service

Rate this question

USMCFor8

Question

Here's my story, served from 86-95,  left the US to live and work in Asia from 1996-2011,  came back in the US  for 18 months and went to Germany 2011-2015 to work and came back in the US in Jan 2015.

Got seen for vertigo numerous for almost two decades times but records will be impossible to get from Japanese hospital and German hospital.  I do have records when I was seen at the Naval Hospital and Army Hospital as a civilian. 

in  April 2015 , I submitted disability claim for vertigo and was denied.  June 2015, claim for Tinnitus was awarded without evidence.

for 2016, got records now for being seen from my primary care. I logged 5 visits and 2 ER due to Vertigo.  Today, my doctor decided to write a letter indicating that my vertigo and dizziness condition, in her opinion that is more than likely not that this was from the Mefloquine (Lariam ) medication.

As far as my condition, i am slowly deteriorating, my vertigo attacks is more frequent nowadays. 

In addition, to support my claim, I now have a copy of my medical record that I acknowledge the instruction of taking the medication weekly while in Somalia.   

Question to all: do I do an appeal (NOD)? i am passed the one year mark.  Do I initiate a new claim? 

As far as my condition, i am slowly deteriorating, my vertigo attacks is more frequent nowadays.      

Can someone educate me how to proceed on this?

Thank you.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

"Question to all: do I do an appeal (NOD)? i am passed the one year mark.  Do I initiate a new claim?" 

You need to re-open this claim with New and Material evidence.

"Today, my doctor decided to write a letter indicating that my vertigo and dizziness condition, in her opinion that is more than likely not that this was from the Mefloquine (Lariam ) medication."

That letter would be new and material evidence.

The letter should state that the doctor had ruled out any other etiology but for the Lariam for the vertigo and support their conclusion with any strong medical abstracts that long term use of Larium can cause this disability.Someone else recently posted a Larium topic here, as well.

One of it's side affects can be dizziness and vertigo:

http://www.rxlist.com/lariam-drug/medication-guide.htm

I mentioned no 'other etiology' because I assume your hearing has been thoroughly checked to rule out ear problems as a cause.I think that link  even mentions larium can cause tinnitus.

Can you tell us exactly why they denied the claim?

Did you raise the Larium issue when you filed it?