VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Game over

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

4th and long, line up the FG, from the opposite 45 yd line.  Kick is up and is going to go the distance,  crosswind takes it off the upright, kick is no good.  Clock runs out, game over.

NOVA lawyer called and said after looking over some of my documents, she won't/can't help me. 

Maybe it really is just all in my head, and not actual reality. 

I have hired an attorney TWICE, both in trips to the CAVC.  (I went to the CAVC 3 times, one of which was pro se when I did a writ of mandamus).   I was turned down by attorneys both times, and both times, I persisted and got another attorney to represent me.  

The bottom line is that it takes attorneys a very long long time to get their money with VA.  So many attorneys simply will NOT represent Veterans, they represent social security claimants instead, as its much faster to get paid.  

Many of us just dont want to wait 4 or 5 years to get paid, so if we did take a job which paid us 4 or 5 years down the road, it had better be a good one!  Attornies dont like waiting 5 years for their money either!  

I spoke with one attorney who "quit" representing Vets because of this long delay.  

Its a tragedy in more ways than one that VA takes 5 years to process a BVA appeal.  It hurts Vets 2 ways.  First, the Veteran has to wait forever, then, he has to hunt for an attorney who is willing to gamble 5 years on his case.  

No.  Losing one game does not blow the whole season.  Most Super Bowl Winners lost at least one game in the season.

You simply need to contact another attorney.  This has happened to me before, and it does sting when an attorney turns you down.  

Attorneies have their "market niche" and like certain kinds of cases.  Some are more aggressive at accepting cases than others.  For example Mr. Carpenter does not accept many, he already has a full plate, and wants to skim the cream of high retro dollar cases.  He has earned this.  

You need to send your claim to "at least" 3 attorney's, preferably 4 or 5.  Ask them, "do you usually take...(name your kind of case:  EED, etc) 

Contact more attornies.  This is a great example of persistence winning out, when other things, like giving up, does not.  

Hint:  

Wait until you get a BVA denial to hire an attorney.  Attornies love representing claimaints at the CAVC, as those take 6 months to a year, while BVA cases take 5 years.  

Once I got that BVA denial, I had 2  attorney offers, one from a very prestigious firm.  I chose the less prestigious firm.    I will probably know in a couple months if that was the right decision.  

Oh, I forgot to metion this:  

I had a well known VSO "drop" me, also!  So, dont worry about an attorney saying "no", just persist until you win, if you think you have a valid claim.  

A teacher once had a conference with the parents:  "Your child does not understand math and wont do well in school"

This is Albert Einstein's teacher.  

On another similar note, a record company turned down some new musicians in a record deal.  "That kind of music wont sell".  Oh, did I mention this was the Beatles?  

Had to step away, every time I wanted to log on, my mind would just implode.

This was my 4th try with the lawyers.  Just going to let it go, for now, since it's at BVA, and that will be a long time waiting anyhow. 

Wife keeps telling me to "quit messing with those papers", and says other words too.  But she don't know that I've been turned away by 4 lawyers and got the bum's rush from a VSO.  Telling her will only make her say "told you so", so not gonna tell her.

Haven't been to therapy since August, got sick and couldn't make my September session, rescheduled, but next opening was the day before Thanksgiving.  So...that's not exactly doing me any favors.

I'm no math/science genius, can't sing or play a lick.  Can't even drive for a living(Dale Earnhardt(3)), even tho' it's too late to drop out of school at 8th grade.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

About 15- 20 NY lawyers told me I didnt have basis for a FTCA case many years ago  against the VA 

And my former vet rep said my DMII AO claim didnt have a chance.

I just said to myself 'piss on them 'and I succeeded without them.

BTW, Bob Dylan got the Nobel prize today for Literature ( for his lyrics) There were lots of people who thought he was just a mediocre folk singer when he started out.I say piss on those people too.

"Just going to let it go, for now, since it's at BVA, and that will be a long time waiting anyhow. "

Often this stuff looks differently to us when we put it away for a while and let the emotions calm down...and one lawyer I ran into at the county law library,who would not help me on the FTCA) was embarrassed to learn I had won FTCA, a few months later , as I told him  in front of some other lawyers there...he he....

dont give up on lawyers but it pays to take a break from it all...........

I think the best thing we claimants need to do when seeking a lawyer is to simplify the issues and present our probative evidence to them right away, without personal rhetoric .

Lawyers sure can read but they often don't like to read too much at once.I dont advise phone calls to lawyers, email is much better.

(I need to get Dylan back in my car...I cant drive without music)

Edited by Berta