VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How should I handle my appeal

Rate this question

CoastieJD

Question

Hello! I recently retired from the Coast Guard in July and had already submitted my claim application for disability.  I submitted a lot of medical records up with my claim.  A few weeks after I officially retired, someone from the local district contacted me to set up my exams.  However, at the time I was traveling and was not able to make the dates they had set up.  I was told that my exams were going to be cancelled and that I should call the national number and have my exams rescheduled.  Well, a couple weeks later, when I got back from traveling, I received a decision on my claim with a 50% rating for sleep apnea and a 0% rating each for my ankle and both hips.  All the other 22 items I listed on my claim application were not rated due to "no service connection" even though I submitted medical documentation with the application.  So my question is, how do I proceed with my appeal?  Should I go to a civilian doctor and get more documentation or should I go to the VA medical clinic?  I believe the reason I was rated so low was due to missing the exams.  I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.  Thank you!

Josh 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

"I believe the reason I was rated so low was due to missing the exams."

So you had 24 contentions???????

Did they set you up for enough C & Ps to cover them all?

Personally I think they awarded the 50% because the evidence must have been clear in your SMRs for that........and they cant handle too much at a time...24 is a lot of contentions.Is the "0" a SC "0".

How long were you in the Coast Guard?

How long is the Reason and bases part of the decision?

Maybe if you attach it here ( cover C file # and name prior to scanning it), we could help more but it sounds like it might be too voluminous for the site.

If you are a 'lifer' the 50 should have put you into a CRDP/or CRSC criteria.

Did you leave service with a complete copy of your SMRs and Personnel file?

I forgot to answer your question

"So my question is, how do I proceed with my appeal?  Should I go to a civilian doctor and get more documentation or should I go to the VA medical clinic?  "

You need to provide medical  evidence that overcomes each denial.I assume they gave you reasons for each denial.

Did they say you were denied because you missed the C & P exams?

If it is a question of a denial due to lack of an inservice nexus, no civilian doctor or VA medical clinic is going to be much help with that,in my opinion.

Then again I have no idea what those 22 other contentions were for.