VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Found/Approved a CUE, but Effective Date is Wrong

Rate this question

mytime34

Question

Hello All,

Break down of my ratings over the years

2000 - 10% Degenerative Miniscus Bilateral & 10% Tinitus
2007 - Increase for knees from 10% to 20% due to VA mistake of ratings both knees together
2010 - 0% lower back, as a secondary to my knee problems
2011 - 20% lower back increase, due to evidence of range of motion and herniated discs, retroactive to 2010 (Once again VA did not review all the evidence)
(40% rated)
2016 - 20% left knee, 20% right knee, 10% left leg sciatica, 10% right leg sciatica
I am now 70% rated, still waiting for the SOC to be released (but there are still 6 claims that have not been completed)

The letter from the VA states Clear and Unmistakable errors is found in the evaluation of the Degen Arthritis of the Left & Right knee, due to locking, pain and effusion.
The retroactive increase of 20% is established on May 1 2013 (Left Knee) and Jun 11, 2013 (Right knee)
This is where the first issue is, the right knees date is incorrect as they used the last time I filed for a knee increase claim (denied of course), but the dates are still wrong. The Jun 11, 2013 is when I had surgery on my knee and was 100% rated during that month.
The locking, pain and effusion have been stated during every C&P exam and is in every SOC dating back to 2000.
I have filed a NOD for Effective Date and supplied all medical reports, VA visits, C&P exams back to 2000 and have asked for the Effective date to be Feb 20, 2000.

If the VA finds a CUE on their own, does that help my case in the Effective Date NOD?
Is there a cutoff on how far back the VA can retroactive a disability?

Finally received the Final Decision and case is now closed.

20% Degenerative Disc Disease of the Lumbar Spine 5242
20% Deg Arthritus of the Right Knee 5010-5258
20% Deg Arthritus of the Left Knee 5010-5258
20% Deg tears, posterior horn of the medial menisci, bilateral knees 5257-5010
10% Radiclopathy (Sciatica) Right extremity 8520
10% Radiclopathy (Sciatica) Left extremity 8520
10% Tinnitus 6260
0% Residual scar, left knee surgival debrigement 7805

70% rated

I just filed my NOD for an earlier effective date, due to the CUE (Clear and Unmistakable Error) that the VA found during my claim review. CUE was found due to "locking, pain and effusion of the L/R knee)
Because of the CUE they set the effective dates of Feb 2013 & May 2013 (Right and Left knee), but the RO should have reviewed all of my filings and original approval of 1/25/1999.
Each one of the reviews and documented notes states Locking, popping, swelling, instability and pain.
I also called the VA today to see what the next steps were and the lady told me to file the NOD and she was sending a request for review of the CUE effective dates.

Also the VA did not evaluate my Bilateral Hip Condition, which was part of the claim (that is now closed).

Has anyone else had the VA find a CUE? Was it in your favor or theirs? Did you get an earlier effective date?

Thank you

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

mytime34

you quoted'' The first denial was back in 1997''   and you said ''they should go back to that date''

Just to let you know the EED Would be when you first filed  not the date of the denial. of 1997.