VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P: Curious about terms and how they affect rating

Rate this question

commodog

Question

Hey guys! Recently had 2 C&P exams, both which were actually quite pleasant and professional, at the D.C. VAMC. Both docs listened, in entirety, to everything I had to say, and clearly had read my medical history, service history, etc.

In the C&P examinations, I noticed some categories and terms, and was wondering if any of you guys wise in the ways of interpreting said exams (previous raters, even?) could explain what the statements mean, and how they weigh on an individual rating?
If you can, cool. If not, hey thanks for reading anyways.

So here they are (both of these are reevaluations):

From a TBI C&P:

4. Functional impact
Do any of the Veteran's residual conditions attributable to a traumatic brain injury impact his or her ability to work? [X] Yes [ ] No

What does this tell or infer to the rater? What purpose does it serve?
IU eligibility?
Higher percentage?

From a PTSD C&P:

4. Symptoms  
For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the Veteran's diagnoses:
[X] Depressed mood
[X] Anxiety
[X] Suspiciousness
[X] Chronic sleep impairment
[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
[X] Flattened affect
[X] Impaired judgment
[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting
[X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships
[X] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence

Criterion G:
[X] The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

I guess what I am looking for fellas, is just an idea of what these mean to the rater, and how much they impact my final rating? I'm not reading too much into it. I have learned from previous C&P's that it's just a waste of time to do so.

Thanks for your opinions/advice/perspective on this!

CommoDog

You guys are always a fountain of perspective and useful information. Thanks guys!

I'm trying for IU as my employment record over the past 10 years has been awful. I'm technically good at what I do, and my work is always quality, but I am always a hairs breadth away from smashing someones mouth open. Especially people who approach me with certain body postures and tonal inflections. The neuropsychologist stated its because of the damage to my left temporal lobe combined with residuals of PTSD. So I guess it's that. 
I've been in fights, shoved and thrown chairs at supervisors, and clearly (humiliatingly) have serious anger issues that I am in no way proud of. I don't know how to describe it to you guys, but after I smashed my head in Iraq, my personality changed, and I have lightswitch rage. I am sure some of you guys know what I mean. I break down after these events and feel like a total shitbag, sometimes feeding into my SI or HI.

I'm on the FDA maximum dosages for the psychotropics I'm taking, amongst other meds, to include augmenting meds to make said psychotropics more powerful. They barely scratch the surface of my anxiety.

I'm a good pops to my daughter, but I hang out with exactly nobody, and nurture no social friendships. The only focus in my life has been taking care of my daughter. She loves me dearly, but it took her years to understand daddy has a "broken brain". She does really good now at giving me a wide berth and just giving me lots of hugs and kisses after I calm down, which seems to be the only thing that genuinely makes me smile anymore.

I am extremely fortunate to have two patient girls in my life, as I know it hasn't been easy on them, and I also know many vets never get this kind of support. Sometimes I am convinced they will get tired of me, and in the past the Mrs. has wanted to leave me, but call it love, or whatever, she never does. She seems much more understanding now, after accumulating all of this experience with me.

If they had to assign a fiduciary to be responsible for my finances, I would have to think it would be my fiance (who I lean on for everything as it is anyways, as we've been together for close to 9 years). Which is totally acceptable to me, to be blunt. I do tend to manage my finances ok, but at times I can be flippant or aloof about it (irresponsible).

On another topic, I don't know if you guys can be seen by the D.C. VAMC, but I have gone to lots of other VA facilities (notably Oakland and Puget Sound), and frankly they were pretty dismissive of not just me, but my battles who went to them for help. This totally fed into my distrust of the VA, as clearly it wasn't the interest of the veteran they were concerned with. I am sure this sentiment is echoed here in general.

The D.C. VAMC has been my home VAMC for about 5 years, and I don't know if it's a matter of them acquiring "the best" doctors, or being under congress's nose, or some combination of the two, but I feel like they actually give a shit most of the time.

If you guys are interested in the full C&P's, I can redact them for your review.
I only included the parts that I was interested in assessing the impact of during rating.

Thanks again guys!

CommoDog

Buck, I had the same G (X), came back a PTSD 70%.

DOG, what did the C & P Psychiatrist put down as far as your capability to mange your Finances?

Semper Fi

5 minutes ago, Gastone said:

Buck, I had the same G (X), came back a PTSD 70%.

DOG, what did the C & P Psychiatrist put down as far as your capability to mange your Finances?

Semper Fi

7. Competency 

Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs? [X] Yes [ ] No

deleted...I read this too fast....

Edited by Berta

I think maybe 100% too...they wont consider TDIU if you are still employed.

4 minutes ago, Berta said:

Did you formally apply for TDIU or for an increase (which TDIU is)?

When you got to 80% did they consider you for TDIU or were you still employed at that time.

Are you employed now?

In reverse order:

I have not been employed since 2013. All of my employment has been ~8 months max before being terminated.

When I got 80's I was not employed.

My application for TDIU resulted in a request for increase in PTSD and TBI.
This is to say that I filed a lay statement in support of a request for TDIU, and they automatically made the request for TDIU a request for PTSD and TBI increase as well.

I hope that helps!